From: Stuart Stegall <stuart@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] How many years does a Pentium 1GHz PC averagely need to crack IDEA?
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:07:53
1 Also remember that the vast majority of people who might want to steal
2 something like say credit cards, will instead try to break into your
3 server and steal your private key. I would say that in all cases this
4 is how some hacker somewhere is going to try to get the information.
5
6 > -----Original Message-----
7 > From: TRauMa [mailto:trauma@××××××××××××××.de]
8 > Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2004 10:22 AM
9 > To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
10 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] How many years does a Pentium
11 > 1GHz PC averagely need to crack IDEA?
14 > Zhang Weiwu wrote:
15 >
16 > > Hello. First my math skill is very bad. I cannot understand the
17 > > cryptology (even though I tried). I am now using IDEA for
18 > my server's
19 > > SSL. My users wish to know how safe it is, I wish I can
20 > give a clear
21 > > answer.
22 > >
23 > > I don't know if cracking IDEA is anything related to the content
24 > > length? I mean, does decrypt a 100Bytes encrypted document same
25 > > difficult as decrypting a 100MBytes document?
26 >
27 > Yes. Cracking time depends on algorithm and key length (or key length
28 > only, if you apply brute force). After you cracked the key, you can
29 > decrypt the message as fast as anyone having the key.
30 >
31 > > If cracking time is not related to content length, how difficult to
32 > > crack it? If I have a Pentium 1GHz PC, how many years
33 > averagely do I
34 > > need to crack it? 1,000 years? 1,000,000 years?
35 >
36 > If this is multiple choice, I'd choose the latter :-). Let's just say
37 > it's not feasible to crack the key, most data corruption is
38 > done through
39 > man-in-the-middle, root kits/keylogger, password as post-it on
40 > pc-screen... Anyone having the ressources to crack IDEA
41 > should also be
42 > able to find a weaker link.
43 >
44 > HTH,