From: "Benjamin Smee (strerror)" <strerror@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Cc: "Paweł Madej" <linux@××××××××.info>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] forcing good passwords
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 17:31:07
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 lo,
5
6 On Wednesday 18 January 2006 17:15, Paweł Madej wrote:
7 > Jesse, Rich wrote:
8 > > 1) 30 day lifetime
9 > > 2) Minimum length of 12 (eep!)
10 >
11 > This two is not a problem on every linux box
12 >
13 > > 3) No reuse of passwords (keep password history)
14 >
15 > In this case i got a problem which app could provide such functionality
16
17 There is no way of just doing this normal PAM that I am aware of unless
18 cracklib has been extended.
19
20 > > 4) Check password for dictionary and common variants (e.g. username)
21 >
22 > Some proxy between passwd and shadow / PAM ?
23
24 cracklib does this.
25
26 > > 5) Do not use system-generated passwords
27 >
28 > Do you follow that example with 30 sign password?
29
30 ??
31
32 > > 6) Teach users to use an algorithm to generate passwords.
33 >
34 > User training is very important but even if you prepare good training
35 > plan not every one would use it. So we have to force them to use our
36 > policy with 1-5 points from above.
37
38 This is the entire point. Forcing users to have complex passwords is in almost
39 all cases, futile as they simply write them down etc. I assume that most
40 people know that users are the weakest link and the FIRST thing you do is to
41 educate your users, but contrary to what Rich writes, its my experience that
42 while using a simple algorithm seems easy and obvious to the readers of this
43 list, it is still beyond most end users (not conceptually but in practise).
44
45 The point being that if you don't enforce strong passwords users will use weak
46 ones. If you do enforce strong passwords users will use weak means around
47 them. It's this catch 22 situation that leads to all security administrators
48 moving away from passwords, that and the fact that they are susceptible to
49 things like replay attacks, man in the middle attacks and so on.
50
51 If you have no choice but to rely on passwords then its a question of knowing
52 your users and setting the password policy as appropriate to that. In most
53 cases you are better off enforcing complex passwords and just not caring if
54 the end user writes them down as this is less of a risk then internet based
55 attack vectors.
56
57 - --
58 Benjamin Smee (strerror)