From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] How to manage bandwidth for outgoing mails
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 10:17:39
1 On 01/10/2007, Hex Star <hexstar@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > throttled (when compiled from source on linux) can take care of this:
3 > http://www.intrarts.com/throttledcli.html
6 A very nice find. But Linux support was removed in July 2005,
7 according to its README.txt to "clean up the codebase". I find myself
8 not in the least surprised.
9
10 My opinion - for what it's worth - is that, great though Linux is, the
11 packet filtering and shaping/queuing implementation(s) in the various
12 *BSD distributions are so well implemented, easy to understand and
13 properly documented that I would not even consider using Linux for
14 this sort of thing. It really is the one aspect of using Linux that I
15 found singularly unpleasant.
16
17 For example, take a look at
18 http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/queueing.html then try to figure out how
19 to implement the same policies described in Linux with the guidance of
20 the increasingly creaky LARTC guide - it really is an exercise in
21 pure, undiluted pain. Even figuring out how to prioritise outgoing TCP
22 packets with the ACK flag set - a really important process for betting
23 the best out of an asymmetric connection - is non-trivial in Linux.
24 The Wonder Shaper script has not been updated since 2002 and is
25 symptomatic of the problem ... that netfilter/iptables/iproute/QoS are
26 so complex in Linux that bespoke wrapper scripts that yield
27 unpredictable results are a dozen a dime, as the saying goes.
28
29 Personally, I would be looking at using OpenBSD/pf or pfSense, a good
30 "firewall distro" with a friendly web interface that's based on
31 FreeBSD and its port of pf (and, like OpenBSD, ALTQ). It also features
32 a traffic shaping wizard which is useful for defining a good set of
33 default rules for further tweaking.
34
35 Just my 2 pence, anyway.
36