From: Ben Munat <bent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] net-www/apache-1* masked.
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 17:20:42
1 Just out of curiosity (I've *always* used apache 2 on gentoo), why is
2 apache 1.x being removed from portage?
3
4 b
5
6 Mark Rudholm wrote:
7 > Andrew Gaffney wrote:
8 >> A. Khattri wrote:
9 >>> I have no problem with change as long as there is an easy way to keep
10 >>> what
11 >>> we have. After all, Gentoo is about having a choice and removing the
12 >>> apache flag from PHP without providing some other mechanism to keep it is
13 >>> simply removing choice.
14 >> I see this type of argument used all the time. Some people just don't
15 >> seem to get the fact that all Gentoo devs are volunteers, and we will do
16 >> whatever makes it easier on *us*. If you don't like it, don't bitch
17 >> about choice. You have the *choice* to learn how to maintain the stuff
18 >> yourself and not complain. You don't pay for Gentoo, so you don't have
19 >> the right to tell any Gentoo dev what to do with their volunteer
20 >> time.</rant>
21 >
22 > If people are using this argument all the time, it might be
23 > worth considering why they are.
24 >
25 > Gentoo tends to remove packages or change them in a way that
26 > is not rearward-compatible more readily than other distributions.
27 > I understand that the labor is all volunteer, however, other,
28 > more stable/mature distributions are also all-volunteer, but yes,
29 > that's the way it is. People spend their volunteer time as they
30 > see fit, I understand this completely.
31 >
32 > The result, however, is that Gentoo becomes an inappropriate
33 > choice for a production server deployment. I haven't suggested
34 > Gentoo for production servers to anyone (especially my employers)
35 > since somewhere around 2003 for this reason.
36 >
37 > At work, my team of a few dozen people support tens of thousands
38 > of Linux servers. We wrote our own tools for installation,
39 > distribution, and maintenance of OSes and package sets. There was
40 > a time when I considered that we could use Gentoo. Our own custom
41 > Portage repositories could be maintained, and the portage tools
42 > would cover a lot of the things we need to do very nicely. It'd
43 > be great to build on the work of other Gentoo contributors, and
44 > we'd no doubt join the larger community of contributors. But I
45 > simply can't recommend this. The Gentoo developers and packagers
46 > in general seem more interested in the latest shiny thing rather
47 > than stability, reliability, and predictability. Fine for a desktop,
48 > but antithetical to the needs of people running mission-critical
49 > server farms. As you point out, it's entirely the prerogative of
50 > the developers and packagers to set their own priorities, and I
51 > agree of course, but do be aware of the results of the choices of
52 > Gentoo packagers and developers and how they collectively create
53 > the personality of the distro and how that personality effects the
54 > choices of other potential contributors and users of Gentoo Linux.
55 >
56 > -Mark (who uses Gentoo on his personal systems these days)
57 --
58 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list