From: Christian Parpart <trapni@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Opteron; BIOS ack's all 4GB RAM, but OS does not
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 17:49:08
1 On Saturday 14 May 2005 6:28 pm, Bastian Balthazar Bux wrote:
2 > Christian Parpart wrote:
3 > > Hi all,
4 > >
5 > > I finally got it; my Operaton workstation with 2x Opteron248 CPUs and 4GB
6 > > RAM is arrived. However, the BIOS says that I really have 4GB RAM inside,
7 > > that I have, but the Linux is just telling me something about 3GB. `free
8 > > -mt` as well as `kinfocenter` are telling this. Although, I
9 > > (unfortunately) *had* to install windows2003 on a partition, too (for
10 > > working for my company), and there it is also just telling me something
11 > > about 3 (instead of 4) GB RAM.
12 > >
13 > > Did I miss something?
14 > >
15 > > mem=4096M in boot commandline didn't help there much.
16 > >
17 > > I'm having a TYAN board, with PhoenixBIOS on it. The handbook is far off
18 > > being a good handbox, so, did I miss something I should
19 > > configure/reconfigure in the BIOS then, so, that the OS will use all RAM?
20 >
21 > theese are more or less memory related values in my kernel config
22 >
23 > CONFIG_MTRR=y
24 > CONFIG_K8_NUMA=y
25 > CONFIG_DISCONTIGMEM=y
26 > CONFIG_GART_IOMMU=y
27
28 trapni@battousai ~ $ zgrep -E 'CONFIG_(MTRR|K8_NUMA|DISCONTIGMEM|
29 GARTIOMMU)' /proc/config.gz
30 CONFIG_MTRR=y
31 CONFIG_K8_NUMA=y
32 CONFIG_DISCONTIGMEM=y
33
34 though, CONFIG_GART_IOMMU must have been disabled, and I remember I did not
35 enable gart at all because I'm having Nvidia GeForce 6600GT (PCI-express) and
36 wanna use the `Option "NvAGP" "1"` line in my xorg.conf - this is at least
37 what I had with my old GeForce 5200 working before.
38
39 > and this my "free" output:
40 > free -m
41 > total used free shared buffers cached
42 > Mem: 3429 3069 359 0 627 1775
43 > -/+ buffers/cache: 667 2762
44 > Swap: 0 0 0
45
46 trapni@battousai ~ $ free -m
47 total used free shared buffers cached
48 Mem: 3015 2990 24 0 11 2136
49 -/+ buffers/cache: 843 2172
50 Swap: 511 19 492
51
52 that's really borring looking at the Mem-total line, it should be anything
53 around 4048, not 3015 anyway...
54
55 though, it's unfortunately *not* the same as you.
56
57 but, why duo have a total-mem of 3429M? how much RAM duo have physically
58 plugged in to your board's slots?
59
60 Regards,
61 Christian Parpart.
64 Netiquette: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
65 19:44:45 up 52 days, 8:51, 0 users, load average: 1.26, 1.50, 1.58