From: Joby Walker <zorloc@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] QA or an unchanging portage tree?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 00:23:10
1 IIRC, something like this is already in the planning for portage.
2
3 jbw
4
5 Nicholas George wrote:
6
7 > I know this doesn't quite fit into your two options...but it's really
8 > just a slightly different way of handling the second. Maybe adding a
9 > third keyword in addition to world and system would be helpful. For
10 > example, running "emerge security" would give you security updates for
11 > your current packages. This would give everyone, not only those who
12 > choose to use a seperate portage tree, the option of sticking to a
13 > particular version of an app or apps while still keeping them up to date
14 > with any security flaws.
15 > This, combined with a seperate, more stable, portage tree could benefit
16 > both server and desktop users.
17 >
18 > Nicholas George
19 >
20 > Kurt Lieber wrote:
21 >
22 >> All --
23 >>
24 >> I'd like to poll the group to get your input on a question that has
25 >> come up
26 >> recently.
27 >> There are a number of areas where Gentoo Linux could stand improvement --
28 >> we all know this. Two examples being discussed now are a) improved QA
29 >> for
30 >> the portage tree and b) the fact that the portage tree is very fluid and
31 >> dynamic, which makes it more difficult to use in enterprise environments.
32 >>
33 >> If you were given the choice between:
34 >>
35 >> 1) A more robust QA process for the main portage tree or 2) A seperate
36 >> 'server' portage tree that offered:
37 >> * only updated quarterly
38 >> * security and major bug-fixes off-cycle, but no other changes to the
39 >> tree
40 >> * guaranteed minimum life of all ebuilds in the tree
41 >>
42 >> Which would you find more valuable and why?
43 >>
44 >> --kurt