From: Chris Fairles <chris.fairles@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Starting point for HPC client-server interface.
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 21:34:48
1 Greetings,
2
3 Let me start off by saying I'm quite new to network programming so I
4 might ask some dumb questions and you might have to dumb-down your answers.
5
6 So let me paint the picture of what I need to accomplish and perhaps the
7 wisdom of all gentoo-server'ers can point me in the right direction.
8
9 I have a cluster with a handful of quad-opteron blades (running Gentoo).
10 This is the server.
11
12 I also have clients (mostly windows users) out in internet-land who need
13 to, through a web interface, upload files and/or point some data-stream
14 to be sent (presumably over tcp/ip) to the server. Once it hits the
15 server, an application process gets spawned to process the data and
16 publishes the results. The data sets could be quite large, something
17 around the order of an 8 hour video or something (or a 24/7 real-time
18 video stream). Initially there might be up to 100 simultaneous
19 connections but it needs to scale to the 1000's. I need to be able to
20 process the data as soon as they start uploading/streaming (so clients
21 dont have to wait for the complete upload and then wait for processing
22 to get their report).
23
24 So I think I've familiarized myself with some basic terminology so I'll
25 toss out a few comments/Q's etc.
26
27 I've run across some software that claims to be "QoS middleware",the
28 _ADAPTIVE <http://www.cs.wustl.edu/%7Eschmidt/adaptive.html>_
29 Communication Environment for example. Its important that all data from
30 all streams gets processed in a timely fashion and without error,
31 dropped packets etc. so I imagine this is something I will have to
32 consider? It seems to have a good corporate backing (giving it
33 credibility i suppose). Anyone use it?
34
35 I've also run into CORBA. I read "optimized for high-performance and
36 real-time systems" which sounds like my scenario, but I also read that
37 its meant for distributed computing environments. I'm assuming an HPC
38 cluster counts as a distributed computing environment but, not 100%
39 sure. Nor am I sure that this is the technology I'm looking for. Perhaps
40 theres other alternatives? Other standards?
41
42 And even though I've taken a real-time systems course, I'm not convinced
43 my server is "real-time" in the scheduling or embedded sense. I don't
44 think I need a real-time OS although I will need to do load-balancing,
45 memory management, running concurrent process, MPI's etc etc.
46
47 So, am I barking up the right tree? In an ideal world I'd just hire
48 someone with 10 years experience on the subject but alas resources are
49 scarce and I have to suffice with myself pretending to be a sys admin
50 for the time being.
51
52 Any and all help is much appreciated - now back to research, reserach,
53 research.
54
55 Cheers,
56