From: Rodrigo Garcia <rodrigog@××××××××××××.mx>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] partition layout on desktop app server
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 19:11:00
1 Hello fellow gentoo-server users!
2
3 I'm planning an install of an application server, that is, a GUI
4 application server via X11, as in Terminal Server. It will run desktop
5 apps like OpenOffice, gnome, mozilla, gaim, lyx, evolution... I think
6 the main performance bottleneck will be the hard-drives which, I
7 believe, are the slowest devices on any system.
8 What would you recomend for the layout of the different partitions?
9 Are access times different on different parts of the drive? I recall
10 reading that access times are faster at the beginning of the drive, but
11 I also sort of remember that access times are optimum in the middle of
12 the drive, as it's that zone where the heads are most likely to be in
13 any given moment. In your experience: what parts of the filesystem are
14 accessed more often? /usr? /home, perhaps? maybe /tmp? Is there a way to
15 measure this?
16
17 Would there be performance benefits from placing this parts of the
18 filesystem in a different order in the partition layout?
19
20 And what filesystems do you recomend for the different partitions in
21 a desktop-app-server scenario?
22
23 Any comments are welcome!
24