From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] RAID 1+0 question
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 13:19:05
1 On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 13:40 +0100, Marton Gabor wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > I'm going to recieve 4x250Gb SATA disks to our new server, and my first
5 > idea was to make 2xRAID1 and then make 1xRAID0 out of the RAID1 arrays
6 > using Linux software raid so that I have our data mirrored and still I
7 > can use 500Gb storage space and handle it as one big "disk".
8 > So my questions would be:
9 > - could someone give me a good howto? Sorry, but I have never had
10 > the chance to make a RAID array before and I have no experience and
11 > Google doesn't seem to be helpful in this case.
12 > - do I need to make a /boot partition which is not part of any
13 > arrays or will grub boot from raid1+0?
14 grub can boot from raid1, raid0+1 will need a (small) boot partition.
15
16 With 4 disks you could also build a raid5 with little overhead, takes a
17 tad more cpu and gives you 750G capacity (or 500 with one hotspare)
18
19 short howto:
20 Take a livecd with mdadm on it or install an extra harddisk for initial
21 configuration.
22 Now you can partition the disks with fdisk.
23
24 I'd create a small boot partition and swap partitions (say, 500M per
25 disk) plus a big partition for "everything". Set the partition type to
26 FD (?) (raid autodetect)
27
28 Maybe you want a smarter setup - use 10G for /, 10G for /var and the
29 rest for /home or so.
30 That way you have 10G / raid1, 10G /var raid1 and 240G for /home raid1+0
31
32 mdadm is very easy to use.
33 mdadm --create /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 --level=1 --chunk=128
34 would create a raid1 (level parameter) with two disks and a chunk size
35 of 128kB
36
37 so just create the devices you need from that - you can delete or change
38 at any time during the process.
39
40 Now you have /dev/md* devices, just format them with the filesystem of
41 you choice and be happy :-)
42
43 if they are type raid autodetect they'll be enabled during boot
44
45 Have fun,
46 Patrick
47 --
48 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move