From: "Witschel
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: AW: [gentoo-server] experiences with Gentoo on a Tyan Thunder K8QW (S4881)?
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 13:26:54
1 Hi Tamas!
2
3 I can not contribute much to this specific case. I only have experience with dual core HP Opteron Blades. All I can say is, that there is no recognisable speed penalty compared to the same number of cores with single core CPUs.
6 Mit freundlichen Grüßen
7
8 Matthias Witschel
9
10 Infraserv GmbH & Co. Höchst KG
11 Geschäftsfeld IT-Services
12 Computing Services
13 Server Center
14
15 -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
16 Von: Tamas Karpati [mailto:tkarpati@×××××.com]
17 Gesendet: Mittwoch, 14. Juni 2006 14:29
18 An: gentoo-server@l.g.o
19 Betreff: [gentoo-server] experiences with Gentoo on a Tyan Thunder K8QW (S4881)?
20
21 Dear all,
22
23 Do you have any experience with parallel computations on an S4881 with 4 single or dual core Opterons? The goal is to have a system flexible enough to run
24 - a single thread job using all the available memory and
25 - one or more multithreaded jobs sharing the physical RAM.
26 I hope these two extremes cover the cases of future simulations.
27
28 What are the limitations? Are there problems like missing (eg. by-BIOS
29 PCI-asigned) half gigs as with other mobs? Speed penalties with special RAM-populations? Scaling? Experiences with the extension to 8 processors, single core vs. dual core? Etc...
30
31 I have good experiences with Gentoo on dual Athlon and Opteron systems, as well as with dual core Intel Centino so I just want to be sure before suggesting the S4881+Gentoo combination...
32
33 Any hints are welcome,
34 Tamas
35 --