From: "Sancho2k.net Lists" <lists@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Gentoo binary package server - maintainability issues
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 23:42:30
1 Greetz,
2
3 For some time now (going on two years), our company has been using the
4 binary package server functionality of portage to maintain a build server.
5 We have 20+ Gentoo servers that have been built using binary packages from
6 the build server and have had relatively good success maintaining the
7 systems this way. The goals we were trying to meet under this architecture
8 were quick deployments and updates by using binary packages, and
9 consistent software configurations across all systems.
10
11 Recently we've been having doubts as to the maintainability of this setup.
12 For example, new installations will synchronize with the Portage tree on
13 the build server (so they both have the same "view" of Portage and the
14 client can never jump ahead of the build server; that would be a Bad
15 Thing.) When a new installation takes place, the client will try to pull
16 the latest stable versions of any package from the build server. This
17 means that our build server must stay updated constantly, even for
18 packages that you would not normally be updating religously, such as
19 libraries that only serve as dependencies for mainstream applications. Due
20 to the architecture, this seems to be a neccesary evil. It's just hard to
21 identify the packages that need updated on build server before we see a
22 client try to install it and not find the latest package. Something we'd
23 considered was frequent 'emerge -uD' on the server to make sure packages
24 were updated. Any advice on this?
25
26 The real meat of this posting is the problems we've had recently trying to
27 update mod_php on some of our web servers. There were a lot of broken
28 library links because of dependencies that were not being met once the new
29 binary package was merged into the system, since on the build server it
30 was built against new versions of dependencies (libraries) that were
31 present on the client; for example, the build server had mysql-4.1 which
32 is what mod_php was built against, but the client would only be running
33 mysql-4.0.x and would therefore have linker errors. We just couldn't catch
34 this beforehand because portage has no way of knowing to automatically
35 grab dependencies in this case...
36
37 Is this matter one that we'll have to put more effort into managing? Is
38 there an easy solution? Maybe something that could be solved by emerging
39 packages using a deeper dependency tree, and if so, what would be safe for
40 long term use?
41
42 DS
43 --