From: peter.gantner@×××××××××××××.at
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] portage syncing
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 15:22:48
1 Quoth Christian Bricart (on Wednesday, the 7th of December):
2
3 >> lo,
4 >>
5 >> On Tuesday 06 December 2005 21:54, Justin Krejci wrote:
6 >> [snip]
7 >>> /bin/touch /tmp/esync.update
8 >>> /usr/sbin/esync
9 >>> /bin/touch /tmp/esync.update
12 > speaking of "state" - wouldn't be /var/state/ the appropriate directory..?
13 > The file (or directory within) should be owned by the portage group, as
14 > only members of the portage group are able to sync anyway, right?
15
16 I would definitely place it there.
17 Files placed */tmp dir should are by definition (FHS) not to be expected
18 to remain there between two runs of a program.
19
20 But that's not why I am replying.
21
22 Wouldn't the following suffice in the case of portage syncing?
23 esync && touch /usr/portage/lastsync
24
25 This file will carry a timestamp of when the last sync happened, and as
26 rsync deletes this file, if it's missing that means that the sync
27 encoutered problems and your portage tree is in an undefined state.
28
29 Opinions?
30
31 Peter
32 --
33 "I do not think the way you think I think."
34 -- Kai, last of the Brunnen G
35 --
36 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list