From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: AW: [gentoo-server] Wanted: Gentoo Enterprise Server success stories
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 07:42:52
1 On Oct 18, 2011 12:14 PM, "Norman Rieß" <norman@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
4 > Hash: SHA1
5 >
6 > On 10/17/11 20:06, Pandu Poluan wrote:
7 > >
8 > > On Oct 17, 2011 6:44 PM, "Norman Rieß" <norman@×××××××××.org
9 > > <mailto:norman@×××××××××.org>> wrote:
10 > >>
11 > >>
12 > >> Hello,
13 > >>
14 > >> sorry to interrupt this thread, but this probably means, you did not
15 > >> perform any kernel updates on that machine for over two years and
16 > >> therefore the system is vulnarable to some kernel bugs which where
17 > >> discovered during this time. On a DNS machine a privilege escalation
18 bug
19 > >> is even more severe. I strongly recommend to secure this machine.
20 > >
21 > > That depends on what Kai meant with "uptime". Maybe he meant the VMs
22 > > (he's using Xen, after all) never needs a restart, but the BIND service
23 > > still gets regular update and the consequent service-restart.
26 > Every Xen VM is running its own kernel and needs to be restarted or
27 > kexec'ed when this kernel is updated. If this is not the case, the VM is
28 > vulnerable to kernel bugs just as any other physical system, even if the
29 > host on which the VM is running is secure.
30 > I assume BIND is updated and restarted as needed, but that is not enough.
31
32 Does it matter if the DNS server is behind a firewall that allows only
33 TCP+UDP traffic to port 53?
34
35 Rgds,