From: Eric Paynter <eric@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Mirroring configuration
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 23:16:54
1 On Mon, May 16, 2005 3:53 pm, Devraj Mukherjee said:
2 > I am in a situation where I am managing two Gentoo servers one of which
3 > is the mirror of the other. I wish to mirror the two servers such that
4 > one can be used as a replacement almost instantly if the other fails.
5 > These servers are NOT available parallelly, its one or the other.
6
7 I have two systems that I use rsync to syncronize once per day. I broke it
8 down by root directories, just to make restart easier in case an rsync
9 stalls and times out (e.g. /usr, /home, /etc, etc. are each rsynced one
10 after the other). It usually only takes about 15-20 minutes total, a
11 little more if a lot of changes occurred that day. The two systems are
12 over the Internet, which is why I don't do it closer to real time. If they
13 were on a LAN I might even do it hourly. rsync is very efficient at
14 finding and updating only what has changed.
15
16 -Eric
19 arctic bears - email and dns services
20 http://www.arcticbears.com
23 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list