From: David <write2david@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Re: Relatively recent guide on TCP congestion-avoidance algo's & traffic shaping
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 16:02:52
1 *> **http://blog.edseek.com/~jasonb/articles/traffic_shaping/scenarios.html
2
3 > At the time of writing, the link appears to be down but you should able
4 to access it via Google's cache.*
7 The site is also available here...
8
9 http://web.archive.org/web/20100727135916/http://blog.edseek.com/~jasonb/articles/traffic_shaping/scenarios.html
14 On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××.com> wrote:
15
16 > On 01/07/2011 01:58, Pandu Poluan wrote:
17 >
18 >> Another factor that made me re-think my setup is the 'strange'
19 >> characteristics of traffic between my office and our
20 >> brand-spankin'-new subsidiary office 14 floors below us: SSH is very
21 >> nice, but any big file transfers (sftp, http, ftp, cifs,*anything*
22 >> biggish) will run well only for the first 10 seconds or so, before
23 >> slowing to a crawl (and even managed to make WinSCP complaining of 'no
24 >> response for 15 seconds'). But the ping's have no dropped packets at
25 >> all.
28 > With respect to this particular syndrome, I have found the approach
29 > described here to be extraordinarily effective:-
30 >
31 > http://blog.edseek.com/~**jasonb/articles/traffic_**shaping/scenarios.html<http://blog.edseek.com/%7Ejasonb/articles/traffic_shaping/scenarios.html>
32 >
33 > At the time of writing, the link appears to be down but you should able to
34 > access it via Google's cache.
35 >
36 > Also, check out the tosfix() function in FireHOL, which demonstrates the
37 > above implementation (and happens to be the best iptables wrapper, imho).
38 > There's an ebuild in portage but I would advise that you supplement it by
39 > grabbing the latest instance of the "firehol.sh" script from upstream CVS.
40 >
41 > Cheers,
42 >
43 > --Kerin