From: Joby Walker <zorloc@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Automating security updates on non-cutting edge server
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:53:57
1 I have been running a small group of Gentoo servers for the past year
2 (up to 11 now). Initially I used a build server that "emerge sync"d
3 daily and built packages (emerge -ub <world|package>). The build
4 server's /usr/portage and /usr/portage.local were shared via nfs to the
5 other servers. Then the client servers would use "emerge -uk <package>"
6 to install. But I ran into some issues with this process since the the
7 client servers never ran an "emerge sync", large tbz2s over NFS seemed
8 to be non-stable, and some other issues.
9
10 So just recently I converted to a multi-stage process.
11
12 1) I have a "tree-server" which is just a local rsync mirror of the
13 portage tree (and my portage.local tree).
14 2) The build server -- which builds the packages (emerge -ub
15 <world|package>).
16 3) The Package server (currently same server as "tree-server") receives
17 the build packages from the build server (rsync), and shares them via
18 httpd over a back door to my client servers.
19 4) The client servers have their own portage tree (synced to the
20 tree-server) and grab the binary packages from the package server via
21 "emerge -ug <package>".
22
23 The emerge -g is slower than emerge -k (needs to re-check the metadata
24 cache every time) but it has worked everytime. Things seem more stable,
25 and I can get rid of a bunch of NFS links that were only intermittantly
26 needed.
27
28 jbw
29
30 Jon Kinred wrote:
31
32 >> i rsync with the fixed portage tree then use buildpkg
33 >
34 > That should be usepkg...
35 >
36 > Jon
39 > Jon Kinred wrote:
40 >
41 >> Hi Andy,
42 >>
43 >> I too am working on migrating our Red Hat 7.3 servers to Gentoo. I
44 >> will outline what i have done to address some of the issues when running