From: Jonny Kent <jonnykent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Wanted: Gentoo Enterprise Server success stories
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 18:50:04
1 On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 11:24 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2
3 > Hello!
4 >
5 > Does anyone in this list has a 'Gentoo server success story'?
6 > Especially Gentoo in the Enterprise.
7 >
8 > C'mon, let's see some love for ol' Gentoo :)
9 >
10 > (If your story is particularly great, I'll contact you personally to
11 > put your story in a blog of mine)
12 >
13 > Rgds,
16 > --
17 > --
18 > Pandu E Poluan - IT Optimizer
19 > My website: http://pandu.poluan.info/
20 >
21 > We have been using gentoo hardened server successfully since 2007 for our
22 LAMP web server which serves 25 web sites at an educational institution.
23 Most of the sites are fairly low traffic but one of the student sites that
24 advertises an annual music festival gets around 2 million hits per day when
25 the festival is on. The great advantage of Gentoo for our situation is that
26 the install is minimal with only what is needed being installed, customized
27 to the needs. This reduces upgrades for packages that aren't required but
28 sometimes come without asking on other distros. The other great thing is
29 package management. dispatch-config is a really great tool to prevent
30 breakages on upgrades. Thanks to all the gentoo team for a great
31 distibution!