From: Bryn Hughes <linux@×××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Backup Software
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 23:49:34
1 On Mar 25, 2004, at 10:18 AM, Steve Murphy wrote:
2
3 > Bryn,
4 >
5 > What about bare metal recovery with Bacula? Have you or anyone else
6 > tested it?
7 >
8 > I've grown weary of using tapes, as the drives go bad and they end up
9 > being a pain in the ass. I'd like to setup a central backup server
10 > with a bunch of large capacity, mirrored, hot-swap hard drives. Would
11 > Bacula work with this config?
12 >
13 > Steve
14 >
15 > P.S. Mark, sorry if this is a repeat of a recent topic, I just signed
16 > up for the list an hour ago and I can't find where to search the
17 > archives.
18
19 Bacula won't do bare-metal recovery. You'd need to have at least a
20 boot CD with bacula and the appropriate drivers for your tape device to
21 do a bare-metal restore. The alternative would be to do a stage 3
22 build, install the bacula tools and then restore. I haven't looked yet
23 to see how restores work when the bacula catalog is not available.
24
25 I believe bacula will work with hard drives instead of tapes - the
26 'default' storage device is a directory in the local filesystem as
27 opposed to a tape drive so I know it can back up to a hard drive for
28 sure. It appears to me that it could be configured to use a series of
29 removable hard drives or a storage array of some sort. I don't think
30 it really cares what it writes to.
31
32 Bryn
35 ~