From: Kirk Hoganson <kirk2@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Mirroring configuration
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 02:30:43
1 The load of rsync depends heavily on the number of files you are trying
2 to sync. If you are sync'ing a large number of files your system will
3 take a hit when the rsync begins. Depending on the permissions you want
4 on the target box you may not need to do this as root. You may be
5 able to use a dedicated account that doesn't have shell access and can
6 only be accessed via an ssh key. On a personal note it is something I
7 use frequently to keep systems in sync, and I have found the load to be
8 very reasonable.
11 xyon said the following:
12 > I currently use Unison every 30 minutes to copy over my Apache stuff,
13 > while MySQL is running on the backup box as a slave to the primary box,
14 > which works beautifully. Unison tends to really hog the CPU power of both
15 > boxes during sync, and root has to have unobstructed ssh (priv/pubkey)
16 > access from/to each box. This may not be the best way of doing things, but
17 > just an idea.
18 >
19 > Possibly I might switch to rsync for the Apache stuff. What do you guys
20 > think?
21 >
22 > Best of luck to you!
26 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list