From: Dormando <dormando@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Wrapping my brain around a gold server.
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 03:17:29
1 > There always is legacy.
2 >
3 > That fact has been a touch absent in these discussions. If we're really
4 > smart, we won't just create a gentoo-gold-server which is only suitable
5 > for use in networks of gentoo machines, we'll create a master server
6 > which runs gentoo and which is suitable to act as gold server for a
7 > whole suite of machines, regardless of OS.
10 Excellent. Paying attention to legacy means less work for myself; I would
11 have to support some of this crap anyway. There are probably dozens of
12 cases where large companies are running programs they don't even have the
13 source code for anymore! Making these legacy systems at very least
14 manageable should be an early goal. I cannot imagine something like this
15 getting popular without that kind of edge into a existing networks.
16
17 Like the bootstrapping doc says (I'm going to finish reading this site
18 again on the ferry to work tomorrow...), we can get configs into
19 versioning systems for any architecture. Packaging is icing on the cake.
20 If I can get my sunboxes to accept updates (depending on what version
21 they're running) for security fixes from my gold server, as well as having
22 my redhat 6.2 boxes pull in a few extra perl modules... That's
23 flexibility for you.
24
25 Generally, the architecture would benefit from allowing a lazy-caching
26 system for the different OS/hardware classes, with the usual set of
27 options. Max cache size, time-to-live, and even an option to mask packages
28 to never expire unless a newer version is available. The old sun and linux
29 2.2 machines might not get upgrades very often, but you could be launching
30 5+ newer gentoo (or debian) servers a week, and can't be stuck downloading
31 when an upgrade to a legacy system pushed your packages out of cache.
32
33 But this is all getting into details I'm not sure we're ready to pass yet.
34 The focus of my meager extra ounces of brainpower is toward this class
35 tree idea, and how to get even more basic basics down (tools and docs for
36 getting gold-server CVS, and example scripts/tools/docs for many
37 OS's/distributions for config pull clients).
38
39 As far as packages...
40 Hardware, OS, software, ? - Three classes in total, as you said? It's easy
41 enough to see where they cross, and how they might be organized.
42
43 There're quite a few ways of thinking about this, but my only personal
44 requirements are in simplicity and elegance. Our gold servers need to
45 maintain systems from years back to now, but also need to be able to
46 change hands... I'd be sad if I spent months getting something like this
47 going at work, then half the staff changes over and they start building
48 new servers outside of the gold's control, since they don't have the time
49 to learn how to manipulate it.
50
51 -Dormando