From: "Andrew D. Fant" <andrew.fant@×××××.edu>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] LDAP authentication in pieces
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 15:39:58
1 Morning all,
2 We have an enterprise LDAP directory hosted on SunONE Directory Services. For
3 various historical reasons, my Gentoo servers are not set up to get user
4 information from this directory, but the usernames and uids are synchronized
5 between the two environments (actually, we treat the directory as definitive and
6 just copy values to the local files when accounts are needed, but that's not
7 really important right now). I have just been given a mandate that people
8 should be using the same passwords on these servers as they have in the
9 enterprise directory. I am not in a position to move the entire environment
10 completely over to LDAP, as there is no mechanism to limit access to these
11 servers (these systems are restricted access and not open to the entire
12 enterprise), and the shell, group, and home directory information is divergent
13 from the enterprise and cannot be converted on short notice.
14
15 I know that there is an NIS emulation mode for ldap, but is there a more elegant
16 way to have a local password file, where logins are checked first against the
17 directory, and if there is no ldap entry for the user, falling back to the local
18 files?
19
20 Thanks,
21 Andy
24 Andrew Fant | The lion and the calf shall lie | Disclaimer:
25 andrew.fant@×××××.edu | down together, but the calf won't | Do you REALLY
26 TCCS/USG | get much sleep. | think I can
27 Tufts University | W. Allen | speak for Tufts?
28 --
29 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list