From: Nandeep Mali <n9986.mali@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Progress Report - Setting Beacon Afloat
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 12:24:18
1 Hi all,
2
3 This report is slightly overdue because I thought that I should
4 complete some small tid-bits and include them here as well. I have
5 been writing this report for two days now, adding stuff as I am done
6 with it.
7
8 1. Starting of the last week was very frustrating as I was compiling
9 an XSL for GuideXML to HTML transformation which took up a lot of
10 time. Gentoo repository does have an XSL (very detailed!) written by
11 nesyx but that wouldn't serve the editing purpose that we need. So I
12 crafted a new one which is more concise and includes 95% of the
13 GuideXML formatting (so far and evolving as I go along). An even
14 bigger nightmare was making the reverse XSL, i.e. HTML to GuideXML. I
15 have the structure completed and only need to fill in the blanks along
16 the way. Seeing the XSLT was quite rewarding considering the amount of
17 time it took. I even added support for anchors (chapter/section
18 numbering) for referencing other parts of the document using
19 hyperlinks.
20
21 2. Next was my tryst with a Rich Text Editor. I tried many available
22 out there but none gave the flexibility needed. For instance I have to
23 handle the validity of GuideXML, not allowing certain tags inside
24 another, blah blah. So I went ahead and re-invented the wheel creating
25 GuideXML's own Rich Text Editor. Again I have the framework ready and
26 am just filling in the buttons so to speak. The Rich Text Editor
27 handles the creation of new chapters/sections along with re factoring
28 of their ids, i.e their chapter/section numbers. Hence if I insert a
29 new chapter then all chapter numbers will update accordingly. This was
30 done keeping in mind the DOM tree that I'll be making next which, you
31 guessed it, helps in focusing to a chapter/section immediately.
32
33 Another thing I had to tackle was the user input. It is almost
34 impossible to completely prevent the user from inserting/creating
35 trash html in a rich text editor. So I am handling most of the user
36 inputs manually like overriding the default actions of the ENTER, DEL,
37 etc. keys. Also different browsers generate different HTML in an
38 editable area. So I have to make the reverse XSL very flexible.
39
40 3. This was small work but I managed to get a database wrapper running
41 and completed a feature of auto-saving of files (like Gmail,
42 WordPress). These are not plugged in yet as the most vital link
43 between everything is the XSL.
44
45 4. My domain name expired on 23rd and I was kinda lazy to renew it but
46 will be done by weekend hopefully. I shall put up a demo of almost
47 useable Beacon by then. You can even start editing your docs by then!
48
49 Kind Regards
50 Nandeep Mali
51 --