From: Colleen Josephson <cjoseph@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Looking for a mentor for a Portage SOC Project
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 20:23:11
1 I'm interested in expanding the Portage "tags" idea listed on the wiki.
2 To make it SOC-worthy, it obviously needs to be expanded.
3
4 I have thought of a few possibilities:
5 -Integrate eix into Portage as a replacement to search
6 -Add a Debian-apt style autocomplete
7 -Add a flag to force the removal of config files when removing a package, if
8 desired
9 -Add a feature that lists which commands were installed after merging a
10 package
11 e.g. after installing net-tools successfully, emerge would say:
12 "Commands in net-tools: arp, hostname, ifconfig, ipmaddr, iptunnel,
13 mii-tool, nameif, netstat, plipconfig, rarp, route and slattach"
14 For packages that install something in /etc/init.d, it would list how to
15 start it: e.g. "To start service, run '/etc/init.d/servicename start'"
16 It would also be nice to have the ability to look this up to see the
17 commands associated with an already installed package:
18 e.g. "emerge --list-commands packagename" or something similar.
19
20 I am trying to determine whether or not these features are enough to fill a
21 summer, or if I need more.
22 There are 14 weeks in SOC, 13 weeks of coding if I leave the last week for
23 polishing things.
24 I'm thinking: 3 weeks for eix integration, 1-2 weeks for tags, 1 week for
25 the --remove-config flag, 2-3 weeks for the autocomplete, and 4 weeks for
26 the "commands installed" feature.
27 It looks like I need 1 more "agenda item" to fill the summer. Any
28 suggestions?
29
30 Do these timeframes sound reasonable? I have 3-4 years of coding experience,
31 with 2 years of Python.
32
33 I'm in need of a mentor ASAP so I can get feedback while writing up my
34 proposal, and have somebody point me to a good bugfix to do.
37 Colleen Josephson
38 Dept. of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
39 Massachusetts Institute of Technology
40 Class of 2013