From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Project Glentoo: Status Report #4
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 14:53:40
1 On 10:25 Fri 15 Jul , Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 7:42 PM, Robert Seaton <seatonr@××××××.edu> wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday, I spent some time trying to get distcc working on an
4 > > Amazon EC2 high-compute instance to speed up generation of the process
5 > > of building a liveCD image, seeing as it takes quite some time to
6 > > generate a fresh image on my aging core2duo. I still haven't managed
7 > > to get that working, but it's something I plan to continue to look
8 > > into during the upcoming week.
9 >
10 > Out of curiosity - did you ever get this working in any practical way?
11 > I've found that DistCC to a remote server from a slower host hasn't
12 > worked all that well. In order to make up for network latency you
13 > need to run VERY parallel builds (-j15/etc), and the problem is that
14 > there is no way to tell make to do that just for files that use gcc.
15 > The result is that as soon as you hit a package that uses quite a bit
16 > of java/python/bash/etc you end up running at -j15 on your local
17 > system and it just kills you - especially java.
18
19 There's a nice option -l (load average) that blocks new jobs from
20 starting if the load is too high.
23 Thanks,
24 Donnie
25