From: Christopher Harvey <chris@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o, Luis Araujo <araujo@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-soc] ventoo weekly report
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 08:54:47
1 This week I added a system to ventoo that highlights parts of a file
2 when ventoo thinks they are invalid and should not be saved back into
3 the file. The code that does the checking are external python scripts
4 that users can easily add to ventoo without changing any other code. The
5 reason this was added is that up until now as the user is editing a file
6 he/she had no idea if the file was valid until a diff or a save was
7 requested. Now SOME (or even most) errors can be caught with a python
8 script that validates user input in the background. Even nicer is that
9 well written scripts can catch errors that augeas can't. (augeas is the
10 library I use to move the files in and out of memory and manipulate the
11 file structure) For example, if the user enters /dev/sdf12, but that
12 device doesn't exist, the cell lights up bright red. The user can still
13 save, so it's really only a warning. Warnings like this can typically be
14 checked in about 2-4 lines of python. Augeas already did a pretty good
15 job of catching a lot of invalid config files, but this system makes it
16 easier for the user and can catch errors that augeas wasn't designed to
17 catch.
18
19 Next week:
20 Remote editing of other computers.