From: Seraphim Mellos <mellos@××××××××××××.gr>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] openpam-modules report
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 12:26:02
1 Hello once again,
2
3 I'm happy to announce you that the project is nearing its completion.
4 All modules have been completed and from a few tests I've done, it seems
5 that it's possible to have a wokring system with openpam and these
6 modules with no need for LinuxPAM whatsoever. The last thing I've added
7 to the project is support for MD5 hashed passwords with with the use of
8 a random salt which prevents (or at least makes more difficult to
9 implement) a brute force attack.
10 While it's true that I've fallen behind in writing documentation (it's
11 always the same) I think I'll postpone it a little more because I had
12 this idea of implementing blowfish support for password hashes and I
13 think it'll be a "great selling point" for this project. Apart from
14 that, I'll try to add a few modules to the list (like motd,lastlog ) and
15 begin with the documentation one of the following days.
16 I'll also write a sort guide about how you can set up a LinuxPAM -less
17 system in case anyone wants to try openpam or is interested in helping
18 with the project (either by doing tests or by implementing new modules
19 or additional features for the existing ones).
20
21 That's all for now.
22
23 Regards,
24 Seraphim
25
26 PS: If anyone knows of any apps that require LinuxPAM to build (like
27 shadow) i'd very much appreciate it if he could drop me an email and
28 point them out, so I can work on making them support openpam as well.