From: Andrey Kislyuk <weaver@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] fast boot of Gentoo
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 21:40:15
1 > What are some of your ideas for improving wake from sleep times? It
2 > would help those that have no idea where to even start on that topic
3 > as it is not as intuitive as fast boot times.
4 >
5 > -Jeremy
6
7 I'm not sure. I know on my previous install, it spent many seconds
8 sitting at the console, printing something about USB hubs losing power
9 or getting reinitialized and then switching into X. From a totally
10 naive standpoint, I could think of 3 areas to look into:
11
12 - how long do common laptop bios configs take to hand off to the OS
13 when waking up and if any fixups or BIOS configuration tips are
14 possible to make it faster
15 - how long does the kernel take to wake up the subsystems and
16 processes - there is probably benchmarking data on this somewhere or
17 it's possible to easily get it from kernel debug logs. Make a list of
18 modules/options to avoid due to long wake times. Identify problematic
19 modules which need work to speed up (USB?) or whose wake-up can be
20 backgrounded while the kernel hands off to userland (one would need to
21 be or know a kernel hacker to do this).
22 - how long does X take to come up once it has control. e.g. kernel
23 modesetting could possibly help here, but in general this would entail
24 benchmarking what exactly X is doing.
25 - how long does the display manager take to bring the screen or the
26 unlock dialog back up. This gets into multiple possibilities but
27 checking the default installs of Gnome and KDE for obvious delays
28 could be worth it.
29
30 I'd start with Donnie's suggestion.
31