From: Alex Tsui <alextsui05@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] project: octave-forge repository for paludis
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 23:01:44
1 There is a set of octave-forge-* ebuilds in the science overlay can be
2 consolidated and managed by the paludis package manager. Paludis works
3 internally with repositories, so I want to implement an octave-forge
4 repository that will sync and un/install octave-forge packages. All of
5 octave-forge's packages are organized into four repositories,
6 basically folders. Also, dependency information is included in each
7 octave-forge package in a standard description file. This is
8 everything needed to write a syncer in paludis, and then we can take
9 advantage of paludis to do dependency resolution based on the
10 descriptions, saving a whole tree of ebuilds to maintain.
11
12 Most octave-forge packages depend on themselves or other octave-forge
13 packages, but some call for external packages. I haven't used paludis
14 yet, but I guess since it can be configured to do the work of portage,
15 portage is just another repository under paludis and so this type of
16 dependency can also be resolved, too.
17
18 I've started using octave for some math homework, haven't done much
19 matlab so would be interested to hear from people with a personal
20 stake in seeing octave/matlab support improved. I think the main part
21 of the project will be implementing the repository. Does anyone have
22 some extra feedback/ideas to offer?
23
24 --Alex