From: Liam McLoughlin <hexxeh@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Gentoaster - Week 3/4/5/6 rollup progress report
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 22:39:06
1 Hey,
2
3 I know I've not done one of these in several weeks, I've not had much
4 progress due to exams and a week out of the country. However, I'm now
5 back and going full steam ahead until the end of GSoC on this project
6 and currently ahead of schedule. I'm just going to rollup all the
7 changes I've made since I last reported into this report. Here's a
8 rundown of what I've been doing in the past four weeks:
9
10 - Moved Stage3 and Portage snapshot downloads over to my own server
11 and fixed the logic for downloading/extracting these
12 - Added configuration file loading, you can now create an INI form
13 config to define how the VM should be built (here's an example of how
14 these work: http://pastebin.com/XyjrrAQx)
15 - Added an option to use a prebuilt kernel and modules to speed up the
16 build (using this a lot during testing runs, reduces minimal image
17 build time to around 1 minute on a MBP)
18 - Added package.use/package.accept_keywords configuration support
19 - Added custom package list configuration support so you can add
20 anything to your VM from the config
21 - Created system for allowing for different output formats, currently
22 raw, VMWare and VirtualBox disk formats are supported
23 - Included some example configurations
24
25 So at this point, the VM build tool is pretty much done. I'm now
26 moving on to the build daemon. For this, I'm using a project my mentor
27 suggested, Gearman. This should make the queueing and dispatching of
28 build processes a cinch. So here's the plan for this week:
29
30 - Improve isolation on the VM build tool, chroot jail each build process
31 - Setup Gearman on my development machine
32 - Build Gearman worker
33 - Build Gearman client
34 - Test both of these together with the example configurations and make
35 sure they work as expected
36
37 The amount of time I expect the daemon to take has reduced
38 significantly from that I planned in my original proposal due to the
39 use of Gearman, and so I expect to finish rather earlier than planned.
40 The daemon should be finished by next week, and then I'll move onto
41 the WebUI which I expect to take a few weeks. Once a work in progress
42 version of that is ready to show, I'll see if I can setup a copy you
43 can use to try it out. It'll probably be missing polish and features,
44 but it should allow you to try out Gentoaster without downloading
45 anything. I'll need to find hardware to run that, but I think I might
46 be able to source a beefy server for it for public use.
47
48 Cheers,
49 Liam