From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Welcome, GSoC students!
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 18:24:30
1 Welcome to Gentoo’s edition of the Google Summer of Code! We hope you’ve
2 been in touch with your mentor and are already comfortable with the
3 tools you need, so you're writing code today rather than doing setup
4 work.
5
6 The rest of this email contains general information to help you be more
7 productive this summer; please read it completely and carefully so you
8 don’t miss anything critical.
9
10 This year, you’ll be working on 1 of 9 projects
11 <http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2012/gentoo>. We’re
12 really excited about working with all of you this summer!
15 Communication
16 =============
17
18 It is *very important* that you are in constant touch with your mentor
19 throughout the duration of the program; poor communication is one of the
20 most frequent causes of failure. There are several channels of
21 communication that Gentoo developers use, and we’ll go through the most
22 important of them:
23
24 Mailing Lists
25 -------------
26 gentoo-dev is the list where technical discussions related to Gentoo but
27 not suited for more specific lists takes place. We highly recommend you
28 subscribe to this list and lurk for a while to get a feel of what kind
29 of questions are asked on it.
30
31 You should already be subscribed to the gentoo-soc mailing list, where
32 you will receive important announcements related to the program. In
33 addition to these two lists, your mentor might also want you to
34 subscribe to another list, depending on your project. A complete listing
35 of all our mailing lists, along with information on how you can
36 subscribe to them is available on:
37 http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/lists.xml
38
39 The primary language of communication on most of our lists is English,
40 but many of us are not native English speakers, so don’t be ashamed of
41 writing “bad English” although SMS text language is typically frowned
42 upon (“u” instead of “you” for example). It is usually sufficient if you
43 are able to communicate your idea and everyone understands what you are
44 trying to say. Also, don’t be afraid of asking “stupid questions” — many
45 of you are new to the world of open-source software, and we know that.
46 We’re here to help.
47
48 When starting a new thread on a mailing list, send a new email to the
49 list — don’t reply to an existing thread. Also, you are expected to send
50 plain-text email, no HTML! Learn how to quote relevant portions when
51 replying to a thread. This web page might help:
52 http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
53
54 IRC
55 ---
56 Most Gentoo developers hang out in several channels on the Freenode IRC
57 channel. IRC is generally used for real-time conversations and is very
58 useful when you want a quick reply. The starting point for you should be
59 the #gentoo-soc channel; your mentor will tell you which other channels
60 you are recommended to join. If you are new to IRC, this might help:
61 http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/irctutorial.html
62
63 IRC is a highly informal environment, and we don’t recommend you make
64 important decisions there unless you’ve scheduled a meeting with your
65 mentor to discuss them. Even if you do, we recommend you archive that
66 decision by other means (a post to a list, blog post) since most IRC
67 channels are not logged. Also, some developers don’t use IRC at all but
68 they may have something valuable to say.
69
70 You should be available on IRC during your regular working hours.
71
72 Bugzilla
73 --------
74 Gentoo maintains a bug database at http://bugs.gentoo.org/ and you
75 should sign up for an account there. Depending on your project, your
76 mentor may expect you to file bugs and follow them. Whenever your
77 project involves changes to code maintained by existing Gentoo
78 developers, you will usually have to file a bug and follow it up. Your
79 mentor will tell you whether or not you will be using Bugzilla, and if
80 so, to what extent.
81
82 Blogs
83 -----
84 Many developers use blogs to communicate with the community at large. We
85 highly recommend, but do not require, that you read posts on Planet
86 Gentoo (http://planet.gentoo.org/) and add the feed to your reader. We
87 also highly recommend that you get a blog for yourself (if you don’t
88 already have one), and use it to write anything relevant to your project
89 under a category such as “gsoc2011” or “gentoo.” We will aggregate your
90 blogs on our Planet for the entire Gentoo community to read.
93 Code Management
94 ===============
95
96 Gentoo uses a mix of Git, SVN, and CVS internally. We expect you to
97 maintain a repository containing your code on Gentoo infrastructure,
98 unless you're working on an existing project that's already hosted
99 elsewhere.
100
101 Robin Johnson (robbat2@g.o) has already sent out details to your
102 mentors about getting repositories set up, so we don't need to go into
103 that here. Contact your mentor if you need more details.
106 Project Websites
107 ================
108
109 You must have a centralized, permanent location for information about
110 you and your project that is hosted by Gentoo (unless you're working on
111 an existing project hosted elsewhere). If you're working on an
112 established codebase like Portage or Porthole, you can just use its
113 existing infrastructure. Otherwise, Trac is an ideal way to fulfill this
114 requirement.
115
116 We are happy to set up Trac instances for your project, so it has an
117 online home where people can go to learn more about it. This will
118 provide you with a homepage, a wiki, a timeline, and possibly
119 integration with your source code.
120
121 To have Trac set up, contact Robin Johnson (robbat2@g.o) with
122 details about your project. The Trac instance should have the same name
123 as your repository, if possible. Discuss with your mentor whether Trac
124 is something you need.
127 Shell Access
128 ============
129
130 As a GSoC student with Gentoo, you get access to one of our shell
131 servers. This is an ideal place to run an IRC client like irssi coupled
132 with screen, so that you are always available on IRC and can reconnect
133 from anywhere. Talk to your mentor about this, if you aren't already set
134 up.
137 Progress Reports
138 ================
139
140 We expect progress reports from each of you at least once a week. Feel
141 free to report more often! At the top, provide a brief summary of your
142 project to remind anyone who hasn’t followed it closely and tell us
143 whether it's on schedule, ahead of schedule, or behind schedule. Then
144 tell us about your accomplishments, your problems, how you solved them,
145 and your plans for the next week.
146
147 Your mentors will tell you their preferred method of communication, but
148 you must also post your weekly progress reports to the gentoo-soc
149 mailing list. Make sure that you inform your mentor well in advance if
150 you plan to be missing for a week or more (vacation, exams etc.). We
151 understand that you have a student life to attend to in parallel, but if
152 you are missing for more than a week without reason, we will be forced
153 to disqualify you from the program.
154
155 Gentoo's GSoC admins will also require very short, occasional surveys to
156 help us ensure you have a great time this summer.
159 Questions
160 =========
161
162 Your mentor is the primary contact for any questions pertaining to the
163 program, technical or not. However, it is possible that a mentor may be
164 unreachable for sometime due to personal reasons or otherwise. It is
165 *extremely* important that you immediately notify an organization
166 administrator in the event that your mentor is unavailable for more than
167 3 days. The administrator will immediately look into the issue and
168 assign a new mentor, if required. Since all of us are from various
169 cultures around the world, it is also possible that you and your mentor
170 may not “get along” very well. Please do contact our organization
171 administrators to discuss any such issues:
172
173 Primary admin: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
174 Backup admin: Leslie Hawthorn <lh@g.o>
175
176 As a final note, we want to remind you that this is the Summer of Code,
177 and not the Summer of Project Research And Design or the Summer of
178 Learning Your Programming Language And Tools. You should already have
179 completed all the background work, so you can spend the whole summer
180 writing code.
181
182 We’re looking forward to a great summer with all of you, and we hope
183 that all your projects are successful. Please don’t hesitate to use any
184 of the mentioned communication channels if you have a question or doubt.
185
186 Have a great summer!
189 Thanks,
190 Donnie