From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] genkernel+dracut GSOC project thread
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 21:02:04
1 On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 04:26:56PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > I don't really get the point honestly.
3 ...
4 > Why not just add deprecation warnings to genkernel instead (no
5 > development required) and let people migrate to dracut native as they
6 > wish? Either way they need to do the work to migrate, but this way
7 > lets them start sooner and doesn't require somebody to re-invent the
8 > wheel.
9 Genkernel does two separate but related tasks, and supports it on a lot
10 of different architectures (more architectures than dracut as well).
11 - configure & build & install kernel+modules
12 - build & install initramfs
13 Depending on your system, the outputs are either seperate or interleaved
14 in different ways.
15
16 It's a question of what the upgrade path becomes:
19 (current) 0. User runs genkernel, Genkernel builds the kernel & initramfs
20 1. User runs genkernel, it builds the kernel, wraps dracut to build initramfs
21 2. User runs Genkernel, it builds the kernel; User runs dracut manually to build initramfs
22 3. User $other builds the kernel; User runs dracut manually.
23
24 You're advocated we move to #2 or #3, whereas I want #1 to be usable,
25 because there are cases where #2/#3 can't work.
26
27 It's esp. crucial for cases where the initramfs is built into the
28 kernel: 1. build modules; 2. build initramfs w/ modules; 3. link
29 initramfs into kernel.
30 There also used to be systems that had the initramfs concatenated on the
31 end of the kernel, rather than linked in as binary data.
34 Robin Hugh Johnson
35 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Trustee & Treasurer
36 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
37 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
38 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136