From: Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: zmedico@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Configuration managment system
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 11:15:35
1 On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 10:11 PM, Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@×××××××.li> wrote:
2 >
3 > For various reasons "etc-under-version-control" loses much of the
4 > power and/or ease of use that comes with the underlying vcs. Much of
5 > this being due to the fact that the files being kept in the repository
6 > are totally unrelated.
7 >
8 > The solution to this obviously is to maintain a separate branch for
9 > each package.
10
11 I have to ask, what's the 'obviousness' here? I don't see why each
12 package should have it's own branch, if they are not related, A they
13 should have their own repo, B, they should be in the same branch.
14 their relation is relative as they are all configs for a system. I'm a
15 big git user so I'm trying to understand conceptually what you're on
16 about.
19 Caleb Cushing
20
21 http://xenoterracide.blogspot.com