From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: Marius Mauch <google-soc@××××××.de>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Progress Report - Revdep-rebuild
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:47:45
1 On 22:09 Wed 20 Aug , Lucian Poston wrote:
2 > Last week's work was interesting. As mentioned in the last report, I
3 > significantly modified LinkageMap to utilize path's inodes rather
4 > os.path.realpath for path comparisons -- basically, reducing the
5 > amount of filesystem access. It turned out to improve its efficiency,
6 > which in turn improved the efficiency of MisingLibraryConsumerSet as
7 > it relies on LinkageMap.listBrokenBinaries.
8
9 I just encountered a problem recently and wondered whether your work
10 might help it at all. The situation is uninstalling a library that
11 system packages link against. The problem I hit involves
12 sys-apps/shadow[USE=audit] and sys-process/audit, which I just hit on my
13 own system, breaking /bin/login.
14
15 It seems like this could become part of the linkage map and thus give
16 the user a warning, if it's not already -- I haven't been following this
17 incredibly closely.
18
19 What do you think?
20
21 > For future endeavors, I will explore adding a new entry into
22 > /var/db/pkg to catalog libtool libraries (similar in nature to
23 > NEEDED.ELF.2). Currently, the contents of all packages are searched
24 > in order to find libtool libraries, so having them available in the
25 > vdb_path will speed things up.
26
27 Ick, libtool libraries are the worst.
30 Thanks,
31 Donnie
32
33 Donnie Berkholz