From: Justin Bronder <jsbronder@g.o>
To: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-soc@l.g.o, Antoine Gicquel <antoine.gicquel@××××××.org>
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Re: Application Antoine Gicquel
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 16:37:23
1 On 04/03/19 12:47 +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > Hi Antoine!
3 >
4 > On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 15:47:41 +0000 Antoine Gicquel wrote:
5 > > I think I have the skills needed to carry out those projects and learn a
6 > > lot. Moreover, I can learn the necessary skills very quickly to be the
7 > > most productive for the 3 months for GSoC.
8 >
9 > The most important skill for the MPI project will be ebuild and
10 > eclass writing experience. It needs to be strong before the coding
11 > period will start, since coding involved is quite complex and there
12 > will be no time for learning the basics.
13 >
14 > You can start by fixing some bugs from our bugzilla. You may select
15 > sci and mpi related bugs, but this is not required. What is
16 > important that you should be fluent with ebuilds and eclasses and
17 > that comes from experience.
18
19 If you're looking for somewhere to start that would be very relevant to the
20 project, take a look at the following two bugs.
21
22 This one has to do with something new in OpenMPI-4.0.0 not playing well with
23 multilib.eclass. Despite being told to build 32-bit binaries, it's building 64.
24 https://bugs.gentoo.org/671510
25
26 This one popped up recently and I haven't had time to investigate.
27 https://bugs.gentoo.org/680236
28
29 Finally, OpenMPI-4.0.1 is out as well as Mpich 3.3. Both ebuilds could use
30 version bumps.
34 > You will likely have technical questions about ebuild writing, so
35 > keep an eye on our developer manual:
36 > https://devmanual.gentoo.org/
41 Justin Bronder