From: Auke Booij <auke@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Re: Two ideas: R package installer (CRAN) and per-user daemons
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 14:27:45
1 Alright, here's some proof I know how to use git. patch -p1 processes
2 it just fine on devmanual.git.
3
4 On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 3:58 PM, Auke Booij <auke@××××××.com> wrote:
5 > Hey there,
6 >
7 > Google Summer of Code is slowly taking off, I'd like to claim a spot.
8 >
9 > Two ideas I'd like to expand on behalf of Gentoo are:
10 > 1. R package installer (also see gentoo-wiki.com). R has a lot of
11 > additional packages, so it is not feasible to manually create and
12 > maintain ebuilds for all of them. There are a number of databases
13 > containing these additional packages, including CRAN and Bioconductor.
14 > Three reasonable solutions are: 1. create a big ebuild with loads and
15 > loads of USE flags which compiles and installs the wanted R packages
16 > as one big package (not the best, since this is exactly what we want
17 > to avoid with Gentoo, and we would indeed need loads of use flags), 2.
18 > generate ebuilds for all packages (this would need regular running of
19 > scripts, and would probably need for its own overlay), 3. install to
20 > the filesystem without letting the package manager know about anything
21 > (ehm... I guess this is not a reasonable solution, after all). Are
22 > there any ideas about how to solve this, and how R usually installs
23 > them? Sebastien fabbro, I cc'd you, are you still interested in
24 > mentoring this?
25 >
26 > 2. Per-user daemons. Currently, there are some daemons, like
27 > PulseAudio, jackd, several download daemons, and soon possibly X.org
28 > (which will no longer need to run as root, and really should run as a
29 > normal user), which run as specific users, instead of root or a
30 > systemwide daemon-specific user. There is currently no framework for
31 > launching these daemons at all, and the current solution is to either
32 > make users figure out their own solution (a popular one is an extra
33 > line in .xinitrc), or to set the username in some conf.d file, thus
34 > disabling the possibility to run several of them for different users.
35 > I would like to develop an extension to our current init.d system
36 > which will enable users to write and start their own init scripts,
37 > which at first only run as themselves, not as another user. This would
38 > make it possible to cleanly launch several identical daemons for
39 > several users. This project would involve either writing a new
40 > additional init.d system, or extend our current system. I would like
41 > to know 1. if you guys are understanding a word of what I'm saying at
42 > all 2. if this would be an interesting idea (I think it is, of course)
43 > 3. anyone has any ideas or would like to mentor me.
44 >
45 > Thanks for your ideas.
46 > Auke Booij "tulcod".

0001-Testing-patch-creation.patch application/octet-stream