From: Brian Dolbec <brian.dolbec@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] GSoC - Package statistics
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 22:55:05
1 On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 22:27 +0100, Michael Seifert wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Am 23.03.2011 14:49, schrieb Donnie Berkholz:
6 > > On 23:30 Tue 22 Mar , Brian Dolbec wrote:
7 > >> On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 01:09 +0100, Michael Seifert wrote:
8 > >>> I agree that a web-based querying tool/platform would be important.
9 > >
10 > > I don't think it's critical to the project at all, for it to be useful
11 > > to Gentoo developers. As a dev myself, I typically avoid things that
12 > > require me to go to websites because it just takes longer. I use CLI
13 > > interfaces to bugzilla, I read mailing lists and use text editors in a
14 > > terminal, etc.
15 > >
16 > > I'd like a simple CLI tool that just goes and grabs me the info about a
17 > > given package, or shows me overall rankings for certain sets of packages
18 > > (depending on specified queries). Perhaps a web-service (using REST or
19 > > SOAP) would be more interesting to implement than an actual UI. Then
20 > > anyone could tack a web-based UI on later.
21 > >
22 > > Sure, a webapp might be nice for users, and perhaps for a few devs, but
23 > > you could definitely propose a complete project without it.
26 > A web-service without UI sounds like good compromise to me :)
27 >
28 > What I find a nice idea is that package maintainers can query users to
29 > get feedback, as Brian suggested. However the extent of how much the
30 > users are bothered should be measured carefully. Nobody wants annoying
31 > popups to ask repeatedly about things you don't care much.
32
33 That can be easily configured in a users preferences both globally and
34 pkg specific.
37 > Does anyone think that some advanced statistics are appreciated, for
38 > example calculating package trends or determining correlations?
41 Let me quote some of my original reply that seems to have been
42 missed/forgotten:
43
44 Most of the devs are cli die hards, so a simple command
45 line interface to query the central database should be primary. I
46 believe it would be more widely used for the ebuilds they maintain. A
47 browser could be used to connect to it and get graphs, etc. for more
48 elaborate info displays.
52 Brian Dolbec <brian.dolbec@×××××.com>