From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] New idea: auto dependency builder.
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:33:02
1 On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 4:59 AM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
2 >> > - have you looked into the preseved-libs feature of Portage-2.2? you may
3 >> >  want to at least refer to it in your proposal
4 >> Yes, I met with it from the user's side.
5 >
6 > Improve your proposal, and just add a single sentence (or two) on it,
7 > with your statement below.
8 >
9 >> For example, when I install a
10 >> new linux kernel, I need to recompile virtualbox-modules, when I
11 >> update perl of python, I need to recompile all perl or python modules
12 >> manually.
13
14 I think the biggest impact of identifying dependencies is discovering
15 when they're missing entirely.
16
17 There are many libraries that are commonly installed but aren't
18 strictly part of the system set. An ebuild might get into the wild
19 that misses a dependency on one of these libraries but not be caught
20 in testing, since it doesn't break most of the time. Maybe it depends
21 on something that depends on the library, which means that it will
22 work until the day that the dependent package's dependencies change.
23
24 This is probably something likely to start a bit of a war and need not
25 be settled now, but if dependencies can be automatically managed, then
26 perhaps it would even make sense to make all dependencies explicit
27 (including those in the system set). Not really relevant to the
28 proposal and probably a discussion for another time once it isn't a
29 moot point.
30
31 Rich