From: Theo Chatzimichos <tampakrap@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Welcome!
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 18:12:24
1 On Monday, June 17, 2013 12:37:24 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Welcome to Gentoo's edition of the Google Summer of Code! We hope you've
3 > been in touch with your mentor and are already comfortable with the
4 > tools you need, so you can begin writing code today.
5
6 Welcome students from me as well! Hope it's going to be a great and productive
7 summer.
8
9 I'll be your infra contact. I'll try to respond quickly to your requests,
10 since I understand that the GSoC timeline is pressing.
11
12 Feel free to contact me in IRC (tampakrap @ Freenode), mail or bug report. A
13 few additional details/corrections on what Donnie wrote:
14
15 > Blogs
16 > -----
17 > We
18 > also highly recommend that you get a blog for yourself (if you don't
19 > already have one), and use it to write anything relevant to your project
20 > under a category such as "gsoc2013" or "gentoo." We will aggregate your
21 > blogs on our Planet for the entire Gentoo community to read. You can
22 > contact planet@g.o about getting a blog — do mention that you are
23 > a GSoC student.
24
25 To request a Gentoo hosted blog, or to request to add your blog on
26 planet.gentoo.org please read the instructions here (and either file a bug as
27 they mention or contact me directly):
28 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/userrel/planet/#doc_chap5
29
30 > Code Management
31 > ===============
32 > You and your mentor should contact Theo Chatzimichos
33 > (tampakrap@g.o) about getting repositories set up or gaining
34 > access to existing repositories, if you haven't already done so.
35
36 We provide only Git repositories nowadays, either at git.overlays.gentoo.org
37 or under our Github Gentoo organization. I will need the following
38 information:
39 - for git.overlays.gentoo.org hosted overlay:
40 - public ssh key
41 - name of the repository
42 - a short description
43 - other possible committers
44 - for Github hosted overlay under the Gentoo org:
45 - your github profile URL
46 - name of the repository
47
48 Either contact me directly, or file a bug (Product: Gentoo Infrastructure,
49 Component: Gentoo Overlays)
50
51 > Project Websites
52 > ================
53 >
54 > You must have a centralized, permanent location for information about
55 > you and your project that is hosted by Gentoo (unless you're working on
56 > an existing project hosted elsewhere). If you're working on an
57 > established codebase like Portage or Porthole, you can just use its
58 > existing infrastructure. Otherwise, Trac is an ideal way to fulfill this
59 > requirement.
60 >
61 > We are happy to set up Trac instances for your project, so it has an
62 > online home where people can go to learn more about it. This will
63 > provide you with a homepage, a wiki, a timeline, and possibly
64 > integration with your source code.
65 >
66 > To have Trac set up, contact Theo Chatzimichos (tampakrap@g.o)
67 > with details about your project. The Trac instance should have the same
68 > name as your repository, if possible. Discuss with your mentor whether
69 > Trac is something you need.
70
71 Our trac instances are going away slowly for various reasons, so please create
72 a page under http://wiki.gentoo.org instead to use as your project website.
73
74 > Shell Access
75 > ============
76 >
77 > As a GSoC student with Gentoo, you get access to one of our shell
78 > servers. This is an ideal place to run an IRC client like irssi coupled
79 > with screen, so that you are always available on IRC and can reconnect
80 > from anywhere. Talk to your mentor about this, if you aren't already set
81 > up.
82
83 We have a box where we grand students shell accounts, contact me as well to
84 get access there. In case you need any services set up in the box, let me
85 know. Either contact me directly, or file a bug (Product: Gentoo
86 Infrastructure, Component: Other).
87
88 As a side note, in the following days I'm going to set up a virtual machine as
89 well, where students will be granded root access so they can work in chroots
90 and set up their services by themselves. Will let you know when this will be
91 up.
92
93 > We're looking forward to a great summer with all of you, and we hope
94 > that all your projects are successful. Please don't hesitate to use any
95 > of the mentioned communication channels if you have a question or doubt.
96 >
97 > Have a great summer!
98
99 Theo