From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] [GSoC2012] Interested in Tags support for Portage
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 15:09:31
1 On Wed, 2012-04-04 at 19:16 +0900, Ryuichi KAWAMATA wrote:
2 > Hello!
3 >
4 > > The best way to keep portato going is to update it's use of portage.
5 > > One of the best ways to do that is to finish the new public_api and
6 > > change portato to use it. It at the very least needs the current code
7 > > updated to the current portage api.
8 > Is this means bugs.gentoo.org #136932?
9
10 That is an old bug, but essentially, yes. The aim of the public API is
11 to have a consistent higher level api for consumer apps/giu's to use for
12 gathering data and merging/unmerging pkgs.
15 > I checkout "public_api" branch and merge into "master" branch to try.
16
17 There is no need to merge, I will update it again. It also is likely to
18 remain installable as a separate ebuild for some time before it is
19 merged back into portage master. None of the public_api code changes
20 any code within portage's existing code. If there are any changes that
21 need to be made, they will likely be merged on an as needed basis.
25 > > For tags support, there are also 2 indexed search utilities used by
26 > > users, eix and esearch. Also gentoolkit,s equery could also benefit
27 > > from tags support for it's searches. Eix being c++ and both esearch and
28 > > equery being python based.
29 > >
30 > > You should consider those as part of the work for tags support project.
31 > I think public_api will solve this problem.
32 >
33 > I thought the schedule the idea, "Tags support for Portage" is;
34 > 1. Implement tags support for Portage
35 > 2. Implement public_api for portage that cover all
36 > 3. Implement eix, esearch and equery that use public_api which has
37 > been implemented in "2."
40 eix is not python based and does not use portage at all for gathering
41 it's data. So making eix use portage is very likely not going to
42 happen. There has been a "c" interface started to the public API but
43 converting eix to use an updated and hopefully complete new public API
44 to portage is not something in the scope of this project. However
45 extending eix to support tags with it's current structure and code could
46 be. That would need to be worked out with the eix developers.
47
48 esearch and equery both use portage for data, so adding tags support to
49 them using the portage tags code is certainly something that should be
50 considered.
51
52 > If all milestones would have been implemented, to use Portage's
53 > function by other tools.
54 >
55 > How about this idea?
56 >