From: Eric Thibodeau <kyron@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Progress Report - Gentoo Cluster LiveCD
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 15:46:23
1 I've been working on the project on and off for over a month but the
2 work path is converging. What I have done for the moment:
3
4 - Successful catalyst build of a liveCD (entirely built with gcc 4.3 as
5 an added bonus, which is useful for compiling OpenMP-able code in an HPc
6 context)
7 - Gorg installed with Gentoo xml checkout for documentation
8 - VMWare environment for devving the ebuilds and testing the
9 auto-configuration stuff
10
11 Yesterdy we confirmed that we will be using OpenLDAP as the
12 authentication mechanism which implies the following:
13 - have to pre-populate the openldap DB
14 - have to pre-configure nss_ldap and pam_ldap
15 - have to provide for proper user admin tools
16 ** I've been using luma as a GUI front end for user management but I
17 personaly find it...uhm..sketchy. If anyone has suggestions on and
18 interface to mange users under LDAP I'm opened to suggestions (note that
19 I am also looking into app-admin/diradm for the CLI management aspect)
20
21 I have yet to finalize how the auto-configuration of the ldap backend
22 will be performed (script? pkg_config? spearate meta-ebuild?). I'll be
23 providing a simple ldiff to pre-populate the DB with the basic tree
24 which would look something like this:
25
26 dn: ou=gentoo,dc=cluster,dc=local
27 ou: gentoo
28 objectClass: top
29 objectClass: organizationalUnit
30 description : gentoo
31
32 dn: ou=Group,ou=gentoo,dc=cluster,dc=local
33 ou: Group
34 objectClass: top
35 objectClass: organizationalUnit
36 description : Group defined under gentoo
37
38 dn: ou=People,ou=gentoo,dc=cluster,dc=local
39 ou: People
40 objectClass: top
41 objectClass: organizationalUnit
42 description : People defined under gentoo
43
44 dn: cn=Manager,ou=gentoo,dc=cluster,dc=local
45 objectClass: organizationalRole
46 cn: Manager
47
48 While at it, I'm also trying this out on openldap-2.4.10 which just got
49 into the tree and has some reall cool new features like "Multi-Master
50 support" (redundancy/availability + better caching) and "Reverse Group
51 Membership" (merging group membership, things like group of groups...if
52 I read this correctly). I don't expect the features to be excessively
53 interesting for the current project but these are definitely a + for
54 anyone building an AD replacement (that is, until Samba4 comes out ;)
55
56 Eric
57 --
58 gentoo-soc@l.g.o mailing list