From: Kasun Gajasinghe <kasunbg@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-soc@l.g.o" <gentoo-soc@l.g.o>
Cc: "gentoo-soc@l.g.o" <gentoo-soc@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] [GSoC] Maven integration for Gentoo ebuilds
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 15:32:39
1 On 29 Mar 2011, at 14:42, Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On 03/29/2011 06:47 AM, Kasun Gajasinghe wrote:
4 >>
5 >> I'd like to know how the dependencies will be handled by maven based
6 >> ebuilds. Can you let me know the difference between dependencies
7 >> specified in Maven's POM file, and ebuild's dependencies? Are both
8 >> should be same? Since, Maven's POM contains the unique artifacts IDs
9 >> (with the combination of groupId, artifactId, version) which points
11 >> a _binary_ jar, how should the developers who write _ebuilds_ specify
12 >> it? I got to know that dependencies are also ebuilds under gentoo
13 >> i.e.
14 >> no binaries.
17 > I am not sure how POM files categorize dependencies but in general
18 > there
19 > should be some kind of a mapping between the two.
20 >
21 >> I've been going through the Ralph's (nick: sera ) suggested eclass
22 >> [1]. It turned out to be very useful. (sera, I got your name from
23 >> [1],
24 >> hope it's correct! :) ). Because maven offline building is the
25 >> biggest
26 >> issue Gentoo is currently facing, As Petteri suggested, I've been
27 >> going through to see how other distributions handle this. I see that
28 >> both in sera's eclass and in Debian's MavenRepoSpec [2], that they
29 >> specify a variable which points to a maven local-repository location.
30 >> Ralph's eclass specified MAVEN_REPO_DIR="${T}/maven-repo/" while
31 >> Debian has REPO=/usr/share/maven-repo. Since the file-system will be
32 >> read-only for ebuilds, and ebuilds should be built offline, what's
33 >> the
34 >> purpose of this?
37 > ${T} is a temporary directory for a single ebuild so it's writable.
38 >
39 >> Further, please let me know the other issues that needs to be
40 >> addressed that you have in mind. It turned out that the project is
41 >> challenging than I thought before, and is getting exciting now!
44 > Besides writing the needed infrastructure for building with Maven it
45 > would also be useful to convert as much as possible of our manual
46 > ebuilds to use that infrastructure so that the solution will also be
47 > field tested. I see the work happening initially in a separate overlay
48 > with the goal of main tree merging before the project is over.
51 Ok great. I saw that there is functionality to create user-defined
52 overlays at overlays.gentoo.org. I'll create a one there and do the
53 implementation. Hopefully I can add a clone of gentoo-x86/dev-java/
54 there first? I'm not sure how the version controlling happens then
55 though!
56
57 Surely, I'll convert the current manually ebuilds to that
58 infrastructure. I'm not aware of how much work is there. I'm hoping to
59 continue working on it even after the Google Summer of Code over.
60 I think this is a great chance the students can get to contribute to
61 open-source development with the initial push with an individually
62 assigned mentor. I've done Google Summer of Code 2010 program under
63 DocBook open repository and has continued my work even after the
64 assigned project which gained me committer status. I'm sincerely
65 expect to do the same with Gentoo this year.
66
67 Thanks,
68 Kasun
69