From: Marius Mauch <google-soc@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Welcome GSoC Students!
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 03:01:14
1 On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 23:33:56 +0530
2 Anant Narayanan <anant@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Welcome to Gentoo's edition of the Google Summer of Code, and
5 > congratulations on your selection! To get you started, here's some
6 > general information. This email should be followed by another email
7 > from your mentor giving you more specific details.
8
9 Ok, took me a bit longer than expected to get around to writing this
10 mail, hope that's no problem for you.
11 > Communicating
12
13 > The community bonding period begins now and the purpose is
14 > to familiarize you with our general community practices. It is *very
15 > important* that you are in constant touch with your mentor
16 > throughout the duration of the program. There are several channels
17 > of communication that Gentoo developers use, and we'll go through
18 > the most important of them:
19 >
20 > - Mailing Lists: gentoo-dev is the list where technical
21 > discussions related to Gentoo not suited for more specific lists
22 > takes place. We highly recommend you subscribe to this list and lurk
23 > for a while to get a feel of what kind of questions are asked on it.
24 > We would also like you to subscribe to the gentoo-soc mailing list in
25 > order to receive important announcements related to the program. In
26 > addition to these two lists, your mentor might also want you to
27 > subscribe to another list, depending on your project. A complete
28 > listing of all our mailing lists, along with information on how you
29 > can subscribe to them is available on:
30 > http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/lists.xml
31
32 For mailing lists, I'd strongly suggest you subscribe at least to
33 gentoo-dev, gentoo-dev-announce (to stay in touch with the general
34 dev community), gentoo-portage-dev (for questions regarding your
35 project) and gentoo-soc (for SoC related stuff). Except for gentoo-dev
36 they all don't have a lot of traffic, so it should require a lot of
37 time to follow them.
38
39 > - IRC: A lot of Gentoo developers hang out in several
40 > channels on the Freenode IRC channel. IRC is generally used for
41 > real-time conversations and is very useful when you want a quick
42 > reply. The starting point for you should be the #gentoo-soc channel;
43 > your mentor will tell you which other channels you are recommended to
44 > join.
45
46 I've seen that you already hang out in #gentoo-portage, and that's
47 generally also the first place if yo have any portage (or gentoolkit)
48 related questions. Eventually you might also look into #gentoo-dev
49 (moderated, let me know if you want voice in there) or #gentoo-dev-help
50 for ebuild or other Gentoo related questions.
51 Of course you can also contact me via /msg at any time.
52 Note that I'm often not watching my IRC client when online, so it can
53 take some time before you get a reply. When it's important I suggest
54 you also send an email, or (if it's a more generic question) ask around
55 on one of the IRC channels/mailing lists. As said before, I'm located
56 in the CEST timezone (UTC+2), though that doesn't mean much for my IRC
57 availability. The best time to catch me is probably between 16:00 and
58 22:00 UTC, but that's no guarantee (also I sometimes won't be on IRC
59 for a couple of days, but I'll still read email).
60
61 > - Bugzilla: Gentoo maintains a bug database on: http://
62 > bugs.gentoo.org/. We recommend you sign up for an account there.
63 > Depending on your project, your mentor may expect you to file bugs
64 > and follow them. Whenever your project involves changes to code
65 > maintained by existing Gentoo developers, you will usually have to
66 > file a bug and follow it up. Your mentor will tell you whether or not
67 > you will be using Bugzilla, and if yes, to what extent.
68
69 While you don't have to file bugs to get your code "in", I'd suggest
70 that you take a close look at existing bugs regarding revdep-rebuild to
71 get a feeling for the problems it has. You might also want to watch the
72 tools-portage@g.o and/or dev-portage@g.o aliases in
73 bugzilla to get a feeling about how development is going on (that's
74 going to be a lot of traffic however).
75
76 > Code Management
77 > - Gentoo uses a mix of CVS, SVN and Git internally. We
78 > recommend you use an external code hosting service to help manage
79 > your code. Some of the popular ones are:
80 > http://code.google.com/hosting/(SVN), http://sourceforge.net/
81 > (CVS/SVN) and http://repo.or.cz/ (Git). One of the explicit aims of
82 > the Community Bonding period is to get you upto speed with the
83 > version control system you will be working with. Please contact your
84 > mentor for help *before* signing up with a particular service. In
85 > some cases, you may be expected to work on an existing repository -
86 > again - contact your mentor for specifics.
87
88 I don't really care what system or service you're going to use, as long
89 as it has a simple way for me to see the code (best via webinterface so
90 I can take a look even when not at my dev system). You're not going to
91 work in the portage repository for several (administrative) reasons, so
92 you'll have to track it via anonsvn.gentoo.org.
93 At the end of the project I'll expect some kind of patch that applies
94 against a specified (not too old) revision of the portage repository,
95 but that's not something to worry about now.
96
97 > Progress Reports
98 > - We will be expecting weekly progress reports from each of
99 > you at the very least. Feel free to report more often! Your mentor
100 > will tell you his preferred method of communication, but you must
101 > also post your weekly progress reports to the gentoo-soc mailing
102 > list, as well as on your blog for all to see. Make sure that you
103 > inform your mentor well in advance if you plan to be missing for a
104 > week or more (vacation, exams etc.)
105
106 For progress reports, it's sufficient if you CC me on the report to
107 the gentoo-soc list (I'm subscribed to the list, but a CC makes it
108 easier to find things later). I suggest you stick to a specific day of
109 the week for your progress reports, but it's no big deal if the
110 interval between reports varies a bit. Just if you haven't made any
111 reports for two weeks in a row without notification I'll start to worry.
112
113 Now for some advice regarding the early phase of your project:
114 - The first thing you have to do is to become very familiar with the
115 underlying problem as there are a lot of details there to understand. A
116 good starting point is the ld.so manpage to understand how the linker
117 works, also check bugzilla and the forums for some common problems
118 with revdep-rebuild. If you want to you could also take a look at the
119 new FEATURES=preserve-libs functionality in portage-2.2 for some code
120 that has a related purpose to your project, but for that you'll have to
121 actually dig into nasty portage code (and the current code will soon be
122 rewritten due to a number of conceptual problems).
123 - Actually read and understand revdep-rebuild (and eventually its
124 clones). One of the main problems you'll have to deal with are the
125 numerours details, corner cases and exceptions implemented there. Might
126 be worth to write a little spec about revdep-rebuild before you really
127 start coding (would also make evaluations a bit easier for me ;)
128 - Understand the portage subsystems you're going to use. That includes
129 the PackageSet interface as well as certain parts of the
130 portage.dbapi.vartree module (in particular the LibraryPackageMap
131 class, though I'm currently replacing that with a new LinkageMap class,
132 so you might want to wait a bit on that)
133
134 Other than that I suggest that we come together for a meeting on IRC
135 sometime during the next two weeks to come up with a roadmap until the
136 mid-term evaulations and discuss any questions you (or I) still have.
137 Let me know when you think would be a good time (I'm quite flexible as
138 long as it's between 16:00 and 0:00 UTC).
139
140 Oh, and welcome to Gentoo :)
141
142 Marius