From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Cache sync
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 19:15:17
1 On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Marcelo Andrier
2 <marcelo.andrier@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > I failed to see why the "Cache sync" idea is too ambitious. It's not
4 > only about space but also speed. It still takes forever to sync and
5 > search packages, and really one does not need all the cruft from the
6 > portage tree. Besides I wonder how many Gentoo users have their
7 > portage directory on squashfs, and users with space limits usually
8 > have other limits. I bet a cache sync would actually be much more
9 > welcome than a database for file collisions. Students and mentors, do
10 > consider!
11
12 What are you using to search? esearch for instance takes about .7
13 seconds to search the entire tree for a package. I bet eix is as fast
14 or faster.
15 emerge -s is probably slow. It might be useful to pragmatic to just
16 remove it and point users at tools that don't take forever.
17 >
18 > Also please don't remove the ideas on the wiki. Even if one dev
19 > doesn't think it's a good idea does not mean someone else won't. The
20 > fact it was the first idea a student picked meant it's not so bad,
21 > even if it could be improved.
22
23 It has nothing to do with being the first idea. If people add stupid
24 ideas to the wiki you bet we will call them out as such when people
25 want to work on them. Trust me when I say about half of the
26 applications we will likely receive will be about an idea that is:
27
28 1) so poorly specified we can't figure out what the actual project is
29 2) already implemented somewhere else
30 3) just technically infeasible
31 4) Not worth the effort
32 5) Not able to be completed in 3 months
33 6) able to be completed in 2 weeks
34
35 We have a limited number of slots (like every year) and we want to
36 focus on the high value projects. I'm not saying this project is not
37 interesting and people can work on whatever they want in their free
38 time; but Google is paying for features here, so we will value
39 projects that deal with features people will actually need and use.
42 > Marcelo
43 >
44 > (i did try to answer the original thread, but this is a new
45 > subscription and the get archived mail action did not work)