From: "Stanislav Ochotnický" <sochotnicky@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Tree-wide collision checking and provided files database
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 13:41:21
1 Hi all,
4 there is SoC idea on Gentoo wiki I am interested in. More specifically it's
5 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/2009_Summer_Of_Code_Ideas#Tree-wide_collision_checking_and_provided_files_database
6
7 As far as I can understand there are these parts to this project:
8 * use tinderbox to create builds of as much software from portage as possible
9 * create remotely accessible database of files present in every
10 installed package
11 * create web interface for database
12 * create tool that will provide users ability to do various stuff
13 with that database (read-only)
16 By "various stuff" I can think of these use cases:
17 * will this package have any collisions on my system?
18 * what files are in the package (depending on database maybe even
19 depending on USE flags)
20 * how big (aproximately) will be this package once installed? (I'd
21 love to see this implemented some day)
22 * report omissions in database
23 * possibly many more (ideas welcome)
24 I can also imagine QA could do quite a few things with this information.
25
26 As always there is more than one approach to every part.
27
28 For first part I can imagine distributed effort of general gentoo
29 users. We could make optional feature in emerge (or other tool) that
30 would send contents of each installed package (together with enabled
31 use flags) to central server. This way we could possibly cover even
32 differences between use flags. If we went down this road however there
33 are quite a few privacy/security questions that would need to be
34 answered. Or maybe I am missing something entirely and this is a
35 braindead stupid idea :-)
36
37 Lot of problems are of course related to building all the software
38 (possibly on more architectures), sorting out build errors and related
39 stuff.
40
41 There are million things this infrastructure could be used for, once
42 in place. I am sure most of use cases will pop up only after we
43 implement basic idea. I believe usability of emerge could be improved
44 a bit with this too.
47 Let the brainstorm begin...
50 Stanislav Ochotnicky