From: Brian Dolbec <brian.dolbec@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Graphical portage front-end
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 16:02:18
1 On Sat, 2010-03-20 at 12:44 +0100, Auke Booij wrote:
2 > First things first, I would not know why someone should be using a
3 > graphical installer instead of xterm or one of its colleagues.
4 >
5 > Anyway, the problems you are pointing out are exactly what you're
6 > sacrificing by using a GUI, and exactly the reason Gentoo doesn't have
7 > a graphical installer (or one that you should be using, anyway).
8
9 Different people think and use their system differently. I do NOT
10 consider using/developing a graphical frontend for portage to be a
11 "sacrifice" to in usability. There are things that a GUI is far better
12 at than a terminal, and vice/versa. A well designed gui is great for
13 bringing large amounts of data together quickly and in a form that makes
14 it easy for a user to locate the relevant info required to make their
15 decision about a package to upgrade/install, etc..
16
17 > A lot
18 > of Portage's configuration consists of bash scripts, and any attempt
19 > to fully reproduce their capabilities in a GUI would lead to a big
20 > mess (point-and-click programming, *sigh*). If someone desperately
21 > wants a GUI, it would be for daily Portage activities, and definitely
22 > not for obscure feature x or y.
23
24 I think you misunderstood the purpose of the GUI here. Kuroo was for
25 daily use, not just configuration changes.
26 >
27 > Further, resolving dependencies is, in my opinion, outside the scope
28 > of a GUI. Functionality that isn't present in the command-line version
29 > of some program shouldn't be added just for the GUI version.
32 The problem with dependency resolution has always been the lack of an
33 API in portage to get complete dependency graph, especially when
34 masked/keyworded packages were involved and the packages needed to
35 install. Plus as I see it the needs of the GUI differ slightly from the
36 actual installing package manager. In porthole we build and show a
37 complete dependency graph showing all dependencies for all use flag
38 conditionals, whether or not the installed conditions are met for the
39 dep, etc..
40
41 > That said, I'm sure some people would love a GUI integration of
42 > different package management tools (ie. search, install, sync...) into
43 > one big package, and it would definitely be a nice improvement to
44 > Sabayon.
45 >
46 > tulcod.
47
48 There are 3 already for Gentoo. This isn't Sabayon.