From: Michael Gilroy <Michael.Gilroy@××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: soc-admins@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Weekly Report: MPI Overlay, Week 7
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 10:47:20
1 Hi,
2
3 *Summary:*
4
5 Last week's plan:
6 1) Successfully test mpi-select against hpl, disregarding having only
7 mpi-dependent libs installed.
8 2) Implement proper DEPEND= function based on users' make.conf settings.
9 3) Clarify design goals for mpi-dependent installations and start work on
10 executing this.
11
12 mpi-select is much more refined but still lacks proper testing due to
13 fortran issues I've been having with my work environment(s). I am working
14 to resolve this, as I do have a much better idea of what my next immediate
15 actions are when I can test. Sorting out this block should improve next
16 week's productivity.
17
18 Next week's plans:
19 1) Test various make.conf configurations to test against hpl builds.
20 2) Set proper LDFLAGS to detect libmpi.so in its new location.
21 3) Verify implementations listed in make.conf, expand upon
22 dependency-appending function.
23
24 *Day-by-day breakdown:*
25
26 *Monday's Plans:*
27
28 Sucessfully use inherited multibuild functions for mpi purposes
29
30 Incomplete. I will be working on this tomorrow.
33 Add helper function for dependencies based on MPI_TARGETS
34
35 Completed, but much more will be added to this function later. MPI_TARGETS
36 are used but there are much more dependencies to be accounted for.
39 Test against hpl, add modified hpl to overlay
40 Work in progress. I added hpl to the overlay but more work is needed to
41 successfully build against hpl.
44 *Tuesday's Plans:*
45
46 Sucessfully use inherited multibuild functions for mpi purposes.
47
48 Implemented but not tested. I did not get to work as many hours today on
49 this as I have a lot of homework due tomorrow.
52 Test against arbitrary MPI_TARGETS input in hpl
53 Testing in progress. I have noticed some small bugs that I need to squash
54 tomorrow.
57 *Wednesday's Plans:*
58
59 Test mpi-select multibuild for mpi_src_*
60
61 Progress has been made but this can be expanded upon. My goal is to have
62 this 100% operational by the end of the week. Again, today I was busy due
63 to school, but I will be working full shifts in days to come.
66 Debug issues in hpl installation.
67
68 I am still running into gcc/fortran compiler issues on gcc 5+ even after
69 following the wiki with regards to updating libs. I will continue testing
70 tomorrow on my bare metal system to work things out.
74 *Thursday's Plans:*
75
76 Expand upon src_* using multilib.
77
78 Testing needed. I am trying to use more multilib function calls to make
79 things less cluttered.
82 Test hpl succesfully on a new system with proper dependency installations.
83
84 I am still struggling with hpl compilations against an environment that has
85 things installed to /usr/lib64/mpi/*, as I believe when it looks for mpicc
86 this is now in a different place. I will be testing this more tomorrow, and
87 make modifications to the hpl ebuild as needed. Is there a simple way to
88 tell an ebuild to point to a different directory for libs? I'm currently
89 failing the build with a "mpicc: command not found" error which has led to
90 to this conclusion. hpl is currently on eapi 4 as well, so perhaps I could
91 also give it an EAPI bump this weekend.
94 Test against new MPI_TARGETS. Add the ebuilds to the overlay if they are
95 not already there.
96
97 Untested for reasons above.
98
99 I will certainly be working quite a bit this weekend, as these blocks have
100 prevented me from making as much progress as I have wanted to make this
101 week. Once testing issues are sorted out I have some ideas on how to expand
102 upon the eclass.
105 *Friday's Plans:*
106
107 Sort out mpicc/lib issues in hpl.ebuild, potentially add this to eclass as
108 this solution may be applicable to other mpicc/lib dependent mpi software.
109
110 Completed, as per our meeting. Different roadblocks should be easier to
111 deal with now. Even though my bare metal setup's compiler should be fine,
112 I'll send build info for my VM setup's failures.
115 Squash existing logical bugs in mpi-select through testing.
116
117 Work in progress. Now that I know how to overcome issues I've been having,
118 this should go more smoothly tomorrow. I will ask questions as needed.
121 Thanks
122 Michael