From: Andrea Arteaga <andyspiros@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Benchmarking suite - Report 8
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 00:59:08
1 A very short log of what has been done during the last days. I am
2 working on the PBLAS and ScaLAPACK benchmarks, which is a very
3 challenging topic, because it is very difficult to debug such
4 applications.
5
6 * I changed some parts of the BTL framework, adapting it to the
7 distributed memory benchmarks. This has required writing two new
8 perfanalyzers -- one for the root process, one for the other (node)
9 processes. The nodes do not perform any measurement, while the root
10 process broadcasts the needed informations, measures the time and
11 manages the output (both std{out,err} and resulting file).
12
13 * I added a BLACS library that provides an useful interface which
14 scatters and gathers matrices and vectors. I also added a PBLAS
15 library that inherits the BLACS one and will support the most common
16 operations (at the moment just the parallel matrix-vector
17 multiplication).
18
19 * I added an action for the parallel matrix-vector multiplication
20 which makes use of the two described interfaces.
21
22 The matrix-vector multiplication is a case study for now. If
23 everything goes fine (and it seems so, now), then more actions will be
24 provided, for both PBLAS and ScaLAPACL, which share the same concepts.
25 I plan to have tomorrow a working (but incomplete) Python module for
26 PBLAS, too.
27
28 Milestones for the next week:
29 * Having working PBLAS and ScaLAPACK modules
30 * Do some benchmarks using these modules and publish the results
31 * Start the implementation of the advanced FFTW benchmarks, as
32 previously described
33
34 Best regards
35 Andrea Arteaga