From: Patrice Clement <clement.patrice@×××××.com>
To: zmedico@g.o
Cc: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] BSD port of Gentoo (Portage tools)
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 00:47:13
1 Hi there,
2
3 I'm pasting the same mail I've sent to Davide Italiano, the
4 proposed mentor for the BSD port of Gentoo GSoC project [1].
5
6 "I write you this email to get futher informations about this GSoC
7 2009 project idea posted on the Gentoo wiki.
8
9 I'm interesting about the "porting Gentoo on BSD OSes" project;
10 recently, I was looking for a way to use Portage tools on FreeBSD (I
11 daily use FreeBSD on my desktop and Gentoo on my laptop), .. and what a surprise to see
12 this project on the Gentoo GSoC projects list.
13
14 I have read on the Gentoo/nbsd page that some work has been already
15 done. I have also read that you are one of the maintener of Gentoo/fbsd.
16 So here is my questions:
17 - On what BSD OS should the project has to be aimed ? Every *BSD OSes
18 or one in particular ?
19 - Porting Gentoo means porting the entire Portage tools (emerge,
20 equery, ... etc), is that correct ?
21 - The deliverables for this project are.. an entire modified OS with
22 the tools ? the patches ? a LiveCD ?
23
24 I have other questions, of course, but with theses, I think I should
25 have a global approach on what are the needs of this project."
26
27 After some mail exchanges with Davide, I have submitted the idea of
28 coding a tool in a POSIX-compliant way (something using Bourne shell)
29 in order to do the same job as emerge does. Using Bourne shell means it
30 should be portable and so, painless to bring to a new platform.
31 I can read here [2] some work has already been done. I've tryed to see
32 the work achieved but it seems a bit wide (while downloading a huge stage
33 which weights around 100 Mb! [3]).
34
35 When targeting to port Portage a BSD, or whatever, platform, how do
36 you plan to manage that ? As I far as I can imagine your work, you copy
37 the tools (emerge, ebuild.sh, etc..) on the target platform and try to fix the
38 broken stuff. Of course, I don't think that it sounds easier as it
39 seems.
40
41 I really don't know where I'm going because I'm just a Gentoo user,
42 not an expert, that's why I want as much informations as I can have
43 in order to know exactly what should be done for such a project, and to
44 draft a sane proposal.
45
46 Another question: as some work has already been done for differents BSD
47 platforms (OpenBSD, NetBSD), I would like to know if I can plan to
48 start from the past work or if I have to start something new, from scratch ?
49 Second solution seems much more pretty, and if so, I would like to define in what
50 programming language it should be achieve (as I said, Bourne shell seems
51 to be a good candidate for the job).
52
53 I put the gentoo-soc in cc, perhaps some people may be able to provide me futher informations ? :)
54
55 Thanks in advance.
56
57 Patrice