From: mellos@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Progress Report 2 - openpam-modules
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 11:52:54
1 Hello everyone.
2
3 Another week has gone by and I'm still fighting with pam_unix. Maybe
4 starting the project with this module was not the best approach but on the
5 bright side, I've encountered so many problems that whatever may come up
6 with the rest of the modules will already have been dealt with once.
7 Anyway, to tell the truth, I've made quite some progress this past week.
8 All pam_unix functions have been written and the only thing that's left is
9 to ensure that they work the way they're supposed to (which may not be
10 such an easy thing after all).
11
12 Up till now, I've completed and tested pam_sm_authenticate which takes
13 care of user authentication (duh!) and pam_sm_chauthtok which is
14 responsible for updating a user's password and rebuilding shadow/passwd
15 database. The only thing left for the above is to modify pam_sm_chauthtok
16 to use md5 hashes instead of DES for password encryption, which should not
17 be a problem. Also, a minor problem needs to be solved within
18 pam_sm_acct_mgmt, since there seems to be some problem when using ctime()
19 to determine whether an account has expired.
20
21 The most intriguing problem lies inside pam_sm_open/close_session because
22 everytime it's called from a program, I get a "module is unknown" error
23 for pam_open/close_session and I think this may have something to do with
24 OpemPAM itself. I never got down to debugging the error because I needed a
25 break from pam_unix and decided to go on and work on another module.
26
27 Fortunately, things went smoothly and 3 hours later I had a working
28 version of pam_rootok and pam_securetty and had done some work on
29 pam_nologin as well. After working on pam_unix, everything else was much
30 easier to understand and implement. I hope that that's the case with all
31 the remaining modules in which case I'll have time time to work on some
32 additional modules after the "core modules" are finished.
33
34 For this week, I'll try to finish pam_nologin (with pam_nologin finished,
35 I'll have reached all my midterm 'goals') and then I'll focus on debugging
36 pam_unix.
37
38 That's all for now, I hope that I'll have more to say next week.
39
40 Regards,
41 Seraphim
45 gentoo-soc@l.g.o mailing list