From: Andrea Arteaga <andyspiros@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Benchmark suite - Report 2
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 23:42:33
1 This is my very brief second report.
2
3 I have begun to code the benchmark suite. As case study, I have
4 written a Python script for BLAS implementations. Given a dictionary
5 containing information on which package to test with which
6 environment, the script emerges the package with the given
7 environment, installs it in the given directory (alternative root),
8 tests the implementation and stores the results. In this way, the
9 non-root user can also independently test the BLAS implementations and
10 the main system remains unaffected. The same package can be tested
11 with different environment states (e.g. blas-reference with
12 FC=gfortran or with FC=ifort) and the results will be treated
13 separately.
14
15 I don't have yet a testing suite. My mentor and I are trying to adapt
16 the BTL testing suite. We are also trying to solve a problem with the
17 dynamic linking of blas-reference which has emerged during the tests.
18
19 I'm writing a minimal Python interface to portage using the command
20 line: the script makes use of the functions in this interface in order
21 to install and remove packages. As soon as I can I will change the
22 implementation of these functions using the existing APIs (gentoolkit
23 and public_api), without the need to change anything in the main
24 script.
25
26 Next objectives (1-2 weeks):
27 * Interpret the user's input about the libraries to be tested.
28 * Construct a test suite for BLAS.
29 * Split from the script the test-dependent code. The script has to be
30 general, while external modules will give information on how to
31 install and test the implementation packages.
32 * Make the portage interface better, possibly using the existing APIs.
35 Best regards
36 Andrea Arteaga